Spotswood, New Jersey
|Spotswood, New Jersey|
|Borough of Spotswood|
Spotswood highlighted in Middlesex County
Census Bureau map of Spotswood, New Jersey
|Incorporated||May 12, 1908|
|• Type||Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council)|
|• Body||Borough Council|
|• Mayor||Nicholas Poliseno (term ends December 31, 2016)|
|• Administrator||Ronald Fasanello|
|• Clerk||Patricia DeStefano|
|• Total||2.472 sq mi (6.402 km2)|
|• Land||2.267 sq mi (5.872 km2)|
|• Water||0.205 sq mi (0.531 km2) 8.29%|
|Area rank||375th of 566 in state
20th of 25 in county
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Estimate (2014)||8,447|
|• Rank||278th of 566 in state
20th of 25 in county
|• Density||3,642.2/sq mi (1,406.3/km2)|
|• Density rank||175th of 566 in state
13th of 25 in county
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0885405|
History[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
The town had a total area of 2.472 square miles (6.402 km2).
Population[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- 2015 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, as of October 20, 2015. Accessed November 15, 2015. As of date accessed, Poliseno's term-end date is incorrectly listed as June 30, 2016, with the shift of municipal elections from May to November was not taken into account.
- Directory, Borough of Spotswood. Accessed November 27, 2012.
- 2012 New Jersey Legislative District Data Book, Rutgers University Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, March 2013, p. 84.
- 2010 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey County Subdivisions, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Spotswood, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Spotswood borough, Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 27, 2012.
- PEPANNRES - Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014 - 2014 Population Estimates for New Jersey municipalities, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Spotswood borough, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed November 27, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 27, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Spotswood, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed November 27, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup - NPA NXX for Sparta, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed November 6, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed October 30, 2012.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Cheslow, Jerry. "If You're Thinking of Living in: Spotswood", The New York Times, May 30, 1993. Accessed November 6, 2013. "Named for the town of Spotteswoode in Scotland, the borough traces its history to 1685, when a Scot named James Johnstone took advantage of an offer from the British proprietors of New Jersey of 50 acres to anyone willing to move to outlying areas. Thus, Spotswood became the first European settlement in southern Middlesex County."
- "Spotswood Borough". www.spotswoodboro.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 174. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- Honeyman, Abraham Van Doren. Index-analysis of the Statutes of New Jersey, 1896-1909: Together with References to All Acts, and Parts of Acts, in the 'General Statutes' and Pamphlet Laws Expressly Repealed: and the Statutory Crimes of New Jersey During the Same Period, p. 263. New Jersey Law Journal Publishing Company, 1910. Accessed October 8, 2015.