||This article needs to be updated. (August 2016)|
Michael Fred Phelps was born on June 30, 1985 in Baltimore, Maryland. He is an American swimmer and he holds world records in several events. Phelps won eight medals at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. Six of those were gold. These medals made him tie the record for medals at a single Olympics. Alexander Dityatin has held this record since 1980. In 2008, Phelps won eight swimming gold medals at the Summer Olympics in Beijing. This broke Mark Spitz's record for most gold medals in a single Olympics. Spitz had won seven gold medals at the 1972 Summer Olympics. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Phelps won another four gold and two silver medals. At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Phelps won five gold medals and one silver. In total he has won 28 Olympic medals, a record. 23 of these are gold medals, over two times as many as the former record.
2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games[change | change source]
Phelps qualified to compete in three team events and five individual events. He won gold medals in all eight events (WR = world record, OR = Olympic record):
|Date (in Beijing)||Event||Results||Time|
|August 10||400 m individual medley||Gold Medal||4:03.84 |
|August 11||4 x 100 m freestyle relay||Gold Medal||3:08.24 |
|August 12||200 m freestyle||Gold Medal||1:42.96 |
|August 13||200 m butterfly||Gold Medal||1:52.03 |
|August 13||4 x 200 m freestyle relay||Gold Medal||6:58.56 |
|August 15||200 m individual medley||Gold Medal||1:54.23 |
|August 16||100 m butterfly||Gold Medal||50.58 |
|August 17||4 x 100 m medley relay||Gold Medal||3:29.34 |
References[change | change source]
- "2004 Olympic Games swimming results". http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/2004/schedules/117BySport.html. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- "Montreal 2005 Results". http://www.fina.org/events/WC/Montreal_2005/results/sw.php. Retrieved 2007-06-09.
- "12th FINA World Championships". http://www.fina.org/events/WC/Melbourne_2007/results/swimming.php. Retrieved 2007-06-09.
- "7th FINA World Championships - 25m Indianapolis 2004". http://www.fina.org/events/SW/SWC(25m)/Indianapolis_2004/results/pdf/Results_2004_World_Short_Course_25m_Indianapolis.pdf. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- Facts & figures
- "Phelps passes Spitz". Associated Press. August 17, 2008.
- Adult ADHD and substance abuse
- "Phelps claims first Beijing gold". BBC. 2008-08-10.
- "Phelps wins second gold in relay". BBC. 2008-08-11.
- "Third gold for unstoppable Phelps". BBC. 2008-08-12.
- "Phelps breaks Olympic gold record". BBC. 2008-08-13.
- "Sixth gold for unstoppable Phelps". BBC. 2008-08-15.
- "Phelps equals Spitz's seven golds". BBC. 2008-08-16.
- "Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay -- Final". Beijing 2008. 2008-08-16.