Mountain Province

From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mountain Province shown in red within the map of the Philippines.

Mountain Province is a province in the Philippines, located in Luzon's Cordillera Administrative Region. The provincial capital is Bontoc. The name of the province is often shortened to Mt. Province by locals. The name comes from being in the Cordillera Central mountain range on Luzon island. Mountain Province was the historical name for a larger province, established in 1908 and later split into Mountain Province, Benguet, Kalinga-Apayao, and Ifugao in 1966.[1][2][3]

The Mountain province is full of natural beauty and is famous for it's mummy caves with naturally preserved bodies and hanging coffins.[4]

Location[change | change source]

Maligcong Rice terraces in the Mountain Province.

Mountain Province is in Luzon, covering an area of about 2,157 square kilometers. It's surrounded by Kalinga to the north, Isabela to the east, Ifugao to the south, Benguet to the southwest, Ilocos Sur to the west, and Abra to the northwest. Most of the province, around 83%, is mountainous, with hills and levels making up the remaining 17%. The region has rivers, waterfalls, mountains, and caves. The central and western parts are rugged with steep cliffs, while the east has generally sloping terrain.[5][6]

Demographics[change | change source]

Mountain Province had around 158,200 people in 2020, with 73 inhabitants per square kilometer. The largest ethnic group is Kankanaey, making up 51.8% of the population, followed by Balangao at 13.46% and Bontoc at 12.28%. Other groups include Ilocano, Applai, Binontok, and Kalinga.[7]

Template:Bar gap
Population by ethnicity (2000 Census)
Ethnicity Number & Percentage
72,694 (51.80%)
18,886 (13.46%)
17,234 (12.28%)
6,968 (4.97%)
2,947 (2.10%)
2,510 (1.79%)
2,468 (1.76%)
Other local ethnicity
16,197 (11.54%)
Other foreign ethnicity
22 (0.02%)
Not Reported
413 (0.29%)

Regarding religion, about 60% of the province adheres to Anglicanism. Other religions like Roman Catholicism, Islam and other Christians are also present. Mountain Province stands out as the only predominantly Protestant province in the Philippines.

References[change | change source]

  1. Philippines Dept. of the Interior (1908). Report. University of Michigan. Government Printing Office.
  2. Keesing, Felix Maxwell; Keesing, Marie Margaret. Taming Philippine Headhunters: A Study of Government and of Cultural Change in Northern Luzon. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8047-2110-3.
  4. Lancion, Conrado M. (1995). Fast Facts about Philippine Provinces. Tahanan Books. ISBN 978-971-630-037-6.
  5. Lancion, Conrado M. (1995). Fast Facts about Philippine Provinces. Tahanan Books. ISBN 978-971-630-037-6.
  6. "PSGC | Philippine Statistics Authority | Republic of the Philippines". Retrieved 2023-12-12.
  7. "Mountain Province - Home of the Kankanais". 2002-06-15. Archived from the original on 2002-06-15. Retrieved 2023-12-12.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)