Newport, Rhode Island
|Newport, Rhode Island|
Newport, Rhode Island aerial view
|Nickname(s): City by the Sea, Sailing Capital of the World, Queen of Summer Resorts, America's Society Capital|
Location of Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island
|• Mayor||Henry F. Winthrop|
|• Total||11.4 sq mi (29.5 km2)|
|• Land||7.7 sq mi (19.9 km2)|
|• Water||3.7 sq mi (9.6 km2)|
|Elevation||30 ft (9 m)|
|• Density||3,211/sq mi (1,239.8/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1217986|
Newport is a seaside city on Aquidneck Island in Newport County, Rhode Island, United States. It is located 23 miles (37 km) south of Providence, and 61 miles (98 km) south of Boston. The city is the county seat of Newport County. The population was 24,672 at the 2010 census. The United States Naval Station Newport is located on the western side of the island, home to the Naval Academy Preparatory School.
References[change | change source]
- "Mayor - City of Newport". www.cityofnewport.com.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Newport city, Rhode Island". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- [www.usna.edu "United States Naval Academy"] Check
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Newport, Rhode Island at Wikimedia Commons