Plate readers, also known as microplate readers or microplate photometers, are laboratory equipment used to see any biological, chemical or physical change in samples of chemicals in microtiter plates.
Process[change | change source]
Most of the time, a very bright lamp shines light to the microtiter well and the chemicals react in special ways which can be measured using special equipment.
Other ways to measure certain things are:
- How much the chemicals absorb liquid
- If they glow in certain areas
- How long does a certain reaction go on for under special conditions
Today, plate readers come with tools for data analysis.
Uses[change | change source]
Plate readers are used for:
- To monitor cell growth
- Acid quantities in chemicals
- Cell reactions
- Enzyme activity
- Cell toxicity
- Amounts of chemicals in cells
- Checking substances for drugs
Using these plate readers can help human scientists do their work more efficiently. Plate readers are used mostly in research, to find drugs, and to help test the purity of chemicals in pharmacies and laboratories.
Related pages[change | change source]