Serangoon MRT station
|Location||600 Upper Serangoon Road|
Singapore 534801 (NEL)
21 Serangoon Central
Singapore 556082 (CCL)
|Operated by||SBS Transit (ComfortDelGro Corporation) (North East Line)|
SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation (Circle Line)
|Platforms||4 (2 island platforms)|
|Connections||Serangoon Bus Interchange, Taxi|
|Opened||20 June 2003 (North East Line)|
28 May 2009 (Circle Line)
Serangoon MRT station (NE12/CC13) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) interchange station on the North East Line and Circle Line in Serangoon, Singapore. Located at the intersection of Upper Serangoon Road and Serangoon Central, this station is directly linked to Nex and Serangoon Bus Interchange.
History[change | change source]
Construction for this station, Woodleigh station and its connecting tunnels began in July 1997. Wayss & Freytag – Econ Piling – Chew Eu Hock Construction Joint-Venture was responsible to build these infrastructures for S$316.7 million.
Circle Line[change | change source]
Station sinking incident[change | change source]
Trains travelling to Punggol had to travel at a lower speed as the existing North East line station platform sank a distance of 1 centimetre (0.39 in). This was due to the excavation of the Circle Line interchange station meeting a large amount of groundwater. By the first few months of 2007, train speeds gradually went back to normal after the excavation was near completion.
Art in Transit[change | change source]
The artwork in the North East Line side of the station under the Art in Transit programme is Memories of Childhood by Eng Joo Heng. The artwork featured in the Circle Line side is called View of Life by Sarkasi Said. The author used 18 original batik paintings on cloth which were photographed and printed onto a sheet of glass.
References[change | change source]
- "Speech by Mr Raymond Lim, Minister for Transport, at the visit to Kim Chuan Depot". Singapore Government Media Release. 2008-01-25.[permanent dead link]
- "Serangoon Central Tender Awarded To Gold Ridge Pte Ltd". Archived from the original on 2013-04-19.
- "Upcoming Serangoon shopping mall gets 30% occupancy commitments". Channel NewsAsia. 2009-04-14. Archived from the original on 2010-01-31. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "Safety News, Special Edition, July 2006" (PDF).
- "Serangoon MRT station sinks 1cm". The Straits Times. 2005-06-08.
Related pages[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Serangoon MRT Station.|
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Serangoon MRT Station at Wikimedia Commons