Sonic the Hedgehog (movie)
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Directed by||Jeff Fowler|
|Music by||Junkie XL|
|Cinematography||Stephen F. Windon|
|Edited by||Stacey Schroeder|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
It was originally going to be released on November 8, 2019, but has been delayed because the design for Sonic was criticized by fans. The movie was released in February 14, 2020.
Plot[change | change source]
Sonic is shown running in Green Hill Zone, brining back a flower to Longclaw, Sonic's guardian. Longclaw warns Sonic that somebody could have seen him, but Sonic doesn't believe her. It turns out she is right and multiple people had sawn him, and attack them for his speed. Longclaw gives Sonic her rings, and tells him that they can travel between dimensions, and that Sonic should use them if he is ever spotted. Sonic uses the ring and goes to another dimension. He tries to get back to his home realm, but the gateway closes before he could do so.
Ten years later, Sonic would eventually find his way into Earth. There, Tom Wackowski, on parking duty, is bored and is waiting for a car to speed. He finds a turtle, and his speed gun reads "0.01". Then, Sonic passes by, with his speed gun reading 296. He passes by again, this time his gun reads 300. The turtle is in the street, about to get run over when Sonic saves him, and brings him to a forest, and returns home.
Sonic tells the viewers his life, then accidentally drops his rings. He picks them up, and then tells us that if he gets spotted, he will have to migrate to a mushroom planet.
After watching a baseball game, that night, he plays baseball by himself, but realizes that he is alone and runs fast, accidentally causing a horrible power outage across the entire Pacific Coast. The government suggests Dr. Robotnik to figure this out.
Dr. Robotnik joins the investigation, insulting the workers. He uses his technology and one of his drones finds a blue hair left from Sonic. Robotnik identifies this as a "new species".
Cast[change | change source]
- Ben Schwartz as Sonic : an anthropomorphic teenager blue hedgehog who can run at supersonic speeds and is on the run from the government.
- Jim Carrey as Doctor Ivo Robotnik: an insane roboticist who is after Sonic and his power of speed to take over the world.
- James Marsden as Tom Wachowski: a former SFPD officer who became a newly appointed sheriff of Green Hills, Montana who befriends Sonic and aids him in his quest to stop Robotnik.
- Tika Sumpter as Dr. Maddie Wachowski: Tom's wife.
- Adam Pally as Wade Whipple: a fellow police officer of Green Hills who is a friend of Tom.
- Neal McDonough as Major Bennington.
- Lee Majdoub as Stone: a corrupt secret agent who works closely with Robotnik.
- Frank C. Turner as Crazy Carl.
Production[change | change source]
The first trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog movie was released to YouTube on April 2019. However, on the video, it received many more dislikes than likes on the trailer. Many fans were concerned that the Sonic design in the trailer looked too human-like, which made it too creepy to them. Paramount had to delay production of the movie so that they could redesign Sonic.
In the second trailer, many fans were praised the new design of Sonic. Sonic now appears more similar to how he appears in the original Sonic games.
References[change | change source]
- "Sonic the Hedgehog". DJ2 Entertainment. Archived from the original on August 22, 2018. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- Sharf, Zack (November 18, 2019). "'Sonic' Redesign Cost Paramount Nowhere Near the $35 Million That's Been Rumored". IndieWire. Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- Grayson, Nathan (May 2, 2019). "Sonic The Hedgehog Movie Design To Be Changed Following Criticism". Kotaku. Archived from the original on May 2, 2019. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 9, 2018). "Jim Gianopulos On Why He Chose Paramount, What Makes A Hit And Sparking To 'Sonic The Hedgehog' – Produced By". Archived from [status=live the original] Check
|url=value (help) on August 27, 2018. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- Gregory, Mike (June 14, 2018). "Paramount budgets $7M for Sonic the Hedgehog movie shoot in 'hero town' Ladysmith". Vancouver Island Free Daily. Archived from the original on August 9, 2018. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (June 29, 2018). "Jim Carrey To Play 'Sonic The Hedgehog' Villain Robotnik". Deadline. Archived from the original on July 1, 2018. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (May 30, 2018). "James Marsden to Star in 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 31, 2018. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 7, 2018). "Tika Sumpter Lands Female Lead in 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on June 12, 2018. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (August 9, 2018). "Exclusive: 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie Adds MCU Veterans Adam Pally, Neal McDonough". Collider. Archived from the original on August 9, 2018. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 19, 2018). "David Zayas Cast in Paramount's 'Body Cam'; 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Adds Lee Majdoub". Deadline. Archived from the original on September 25, 2018. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Schaefer, Sandy (September 18, 2018). "Leaked Sonic The Hedgehog (2019) set pics show actor to the left was NOT Jim Carrey". ScreenRant. Archived from the original on September 19, 2018. Retrieved September 20, 2018.