Steven Gary Wozniak (born August 11, 1950) is an American computer engineer. He is often referred to as "The Woz". He is from San Jose, California. In the 1970s, he and Steve Jobs founded Apple Inc.. Wozniak designed the Apple I and Apple II computers. Wozniak left Apple in the 1980s, but still owns Apple stock. He has founded several other Silicon Valley companies. Wozniak holds the patent for the microcomputer. He once dated Kathy Griffin.
Honors and awards[change | change source]
In 1985, US President Ronald Reagan presented Wozniak (with Steve Jobs) the National Medal of Technology. In December 1989, he received an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he studied in the late sixties. Later he donated funds to create the "Woz Lab" at the University of Colorado at Boulder. In 1997, the Computer History Museum named him one of its Fellows. Wozniak was a key contributor and benefactor to the Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose; the street in front of the museum has been renamed Woz Way in his honor.
In September 2000, Wozniak was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame. In 2001 he was awarded the 7th Annual Heinz Award for Technology, the Economy and Employment. The American Humanist Association awarded him the Isaac Asimov Science Award in 2011.
In December 2005, Kettering University gave Wozniak an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree He also received an honorary degrees from North Carolina State University, Nova Southeastern University, and the Telluride Tech Festival Award of Technology. In May 2011, Michigan State University gave Wozniak an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree.
On June 22, 2011, he was awarded an honorary degree at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada.
References[change | change source]
- Wozniak, S. G.; Smith, G. (2006), Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It]]. W. W. Norton & Company
- Seibold, Chris. "This Day in Apple History December 28, 1989: Woz Gets Honorary Doctorate, Dish Incident Forgotten". http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/history/2006/12/28/. Retrieved 2007-07-31
- "maps.google.com". maps.google.com. 1970-01-01. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=woz+way,+san+jose,+ca&t=h&ll=37.326361,-121.891733&spn=0.003686,0.008497&t=h. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Inventor Profile - National Inventors Hall of Fame.
- "The Heinz Awards, Steve Wozniak profile". Heinzawards.net. http://www.heinzawards.net/recipients/steve-wozniak. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Honorary Doctorate - Kettering University List of Honorary Degrees.
- Commencement | MSU Commencement