Sue Gardner in 2012
|Born||1967 (age 52–53)|
|Alma mater||Ryerson University|
|Title||Executive Director of Wikimedia Foundation (2007–2014)|
Sue Gardner (born 1967) is the former executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco from 2007 to 2014. She was the director of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's website and online news outlets. She is currently the executive director of The Markup.
Life and journalism career[change | change source]
Gardner grew up in Port Hope, Ontario, Canada. She is the daughter of an Anglican minister and school principal. Gardner earned a degree in journalism from Ryerson University. She began her career on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) radio in 1990. She worked on the program As It Happens at first. Gardner worked for more than a decade as a producer, reporter and documentary-maker for CBC Radio current-affairs. She also worked for Newsworld International. Her time at Newsworld dealt mainly with pop culture and social issues.
Wikimedia and recent work[change | change source]
In December 2007, she was hired as the Foundation's Executive Director. Over the next two years, the number of employees of the foundation grew. This included the addition of a fundraising team. She also guided the foundation as it moved its office from Tampa to San Francisco.
References[change | change source]
- Wikipedians do it for love. Really. Globe and Mail Jul. 26, 2010
- From the Lavin Agency's profile.
- "CBC clicks online", from the Toronto Star, July 19, 2006, via the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting archives.
- From Does CBC.ca run itself? a post on a blog about the CBC.
- Wikimedia Foundation press release, June 27, 2007.
- "Sue Gardner Hired as Executive Director", Wikimedia Foundation press release
- From the series of slides for the 10 HuffPost Game Changers: Who Is The Ultimate Game Changer In Media? – Sue Gardner.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Sue Gardner's personal blog
- "Sue Gardner to lead Wikipedia" Canadian Broadcasting Company
- Radio documentary by Gardner about Al Purdy, Canadian poet, for This Morning Sunday
- "Wikipedia struggles with funding", United Press International
- Wikipedia's Librarian to the World Fast Company interview
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Interview with Sue Gardner of the Wikimedia Foundation|