The Weather Channel
|The Weather Channel|
|The Weather Channel logo (2005-present)|
|Launched||May 2, 1982|
|Owned by||The Weather Company (TWCC Holdings: consortium owned by NBCUniversal (25%), The Blackstone Group, Bain Capital, exact Bain and Blackstone percentages unknown)|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
480i (SDTV, letterboxed with weather information)
|Slogan||It's Amazing Out There|
|Broadcast area||United States, Puerto Rico and The Bahamas|
|Headquarters||300 Interstate North Parkway SE, Atlanta, Georgia|
|Selective TV, Inc.
|Dish Network||214 (HD/SD)|
|Available on most U.S. cable systems||Consult your local cable provider or channel guide for channel availability|
|Verizon FiOS||619 (HD)
|AT&T U-verse||1225 (HD)
The Weather Channel is a cable and satellite television channel that is shown in the United States. The Weather Channel shows television shows about the weather and weather-related news all day. The Weather Channel is most often filmed inside a studio near Atlanta, but some people working there sometimes go out to the place where the storm or weather is happening to film it. The Weather Channel also has radio stations, newspapers, websites, as well as mobile applications for smartphones and tablet computers. The Weather Channel is similar to a channel called The Weather Network in Canada.
Viewing audience[change | change source]
In July 2015, The Weather Channel was received by about 89.7 million American households that subscribe to a pay television service.
However, it was subsequently dropped by Verizon FiOS (losing its approximately 5.5 million subscribers). The most distributed network was then HLN. Actual viewership of the channel averaged 210,000 during 2013 and has been declining for several years.
References[change | change source]
- "Moody's says TWCC's (d/b/a The Weather Channel Companies) bank amendment to lower its interest rate is credit positive but will not impact its ratings". Moodys.com. https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-says-TWCCs-dba-The-Weather-Channel-Companies-bank-amendment--PR_265763.
- Andy Fixmer. "DirecTV Loses Weather Channel in Subscriber-Fee Dispute". Bloomberg.com. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-14/directv-drops-weather-channel-in-subscriber-fee-dispute.html.
- Blackstone Group (July 6, 2008). "NBC Universal, Bain Capital, and The Blackstone Group Sign Agreement to Acquire The Weather Channel Properties from Landmark Communications" (PDF). Press release. http://www.blackstone.com/news/press_releases/7-6-2008.pdf. Retrieved July 8, 2008.
- "Nassau (Bahamas) Intellistar I: 8/5/11 1:48 A.M.". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w4O3gCg0nI. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- Robert Seidman (July 21, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of July 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it (Tribune Digital Ventures). http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/21/list-of-how-many-homes-each-cable-network-is-in-as-of-july-2015/434373/. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "The Weather Channel to focus more on ... weather". USA Today (Gannett Company). November 14, 2013. http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/11/14/weather-channel/3538951/.