Theodore Edgar McCarrick
Theodore Edgar McCarrick (born July 7, 1930) is a retired American archbishop and former cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He was the Archbishop of Washington D.C. from 2001 to 2006, and was promoted to cardinalate in 2001. From 1986 to 2000, he was the Archdoicese of Newark.
In June 2018, McCarrick was removed from the public ministry by Pope Francis after it was discovered that McCarrick sexually abused a 16 year old boy in New York years ago. A few days later, three more men accused McCarrick of sexual abuse. A month later, another man from New Jersey accused McCarrick of sexual abuse.
On July 27, 2018, Pope Francis ordered McCarrick to observe "a life of prayer" and accepted his resignation from the College of Cardinals. McCarrick became the first person to resign from the College of Cardinals since 1927 and the first cardinal to resign following allegations of sexual abuse.
References[change | change source]
- "Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, Ph.D., D.D." Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington. Archived from the original on December 6, 2006. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Conconi, Chuck (October 1, 2004). "The Man In The Red Hat". Washingtonian. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "Cardinal Theodore McCarrick Punished Over Abuse Finding". New York Times. Associated Press. June 20, 2018. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Sisak, Michael R. (June 20, 2018). "Cardinal Theodore McCarrick punished over abuse finding". Associated Press. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Heyboer, Kelly; Sherman, Ted (June 20, 2018). "Allegations of Sexual abuse and settlements: What we know about Cardinal McCarrick's dramatic downfall". NJ Advance Media. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
The dates and of the settlements were not disclosed. Church officials also did not say if the settlements involved payments to the victims.
- Otterman, Sharon (July 19, 2018). "Man Says Cardinal McCarrick, His 'Uncle Ted,' Sexually Abused Him for Years". The New York Times. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Comunicato della Sala Stampa della Santa Sede". Holy See Press Office. July 28, 2018. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Elisabetta Povoledo and Sharon Otterman, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick Resigns Amid Sexual Abuse Scandal, New York Times (July 28, 2018).