Newark, New Jersey
Newark, New Jersey
|City of Newark|
Skyline of Newark in 2012
"The Brick City", "The Gateway City"
Census Bureau map of Newark, New Jersey
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Incorporated||October 31, 1693 (as township)|
|Reincorporated||April 11, 1836 (as city)|
|• Type||Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council)|
|• Body||City Council|
|• Mayor||Ras Baraka (term ends June 30, 2018)|
|• Administrator||Jack Kelly|
|• Municipal clerk||Kenneth Louis|
|• Total||26.107 sq mi (67.617 km2)|
|• Land||24.187 sq mi (62.644 km2)|
|• Water||1.920 sq mi (4.973 km2) 7.35%|
|Area rank||103rd of 566 in state|
1st of 22 in county
|Elevation||13 ft (4 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||70th in country (as of 2016)|
1st of 566 in state
1st of 22 in county
|• Density||11,458.3/sq mi (4,424.1/km2)|
|• Density rank||23rd of 566 in state|
4th of 22 in county
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||0885317|
Newark was originally formed as a township on October 31, 1693. During its time as a township, portions were taken to form Springfield Township, New Jersey, Caldwell Township, New Jersey, Orange Township, New Jersey, Bloomfield Township, New Jersey, (March 23, 1812) and Clinton Township, New Jersey. Newark was reincorporated as a city on April 11, 1836. The previously independent Vailsburg borough was annexed by Newark on January 1, 1905 and became part of West Ward.
Newark is divided into five wards; North Ward, South Ward, West Ward, East Ward, and Central Ward. Central Ward has train stations of Amtrak and New Jersey Transit. It also has museums and tall buildings including headquarters of large corporations. The High Street Historic District is in Central Ward.
East Ward includes a neighborhood called "Ironbound". South Ward has the large Newark Liberty International Airport, one of the first major airports in the United States. Branch Brook Park in North Ward has the biggest display of cherry blossoms in the eastern United States.
References[change | change source]
- 2010 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey County Subdivisions, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- 2017 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Accessed May 30, 2017. As of date accessed, Baraka was listed as mayor with an incorrect term-end date of December 31, 2017.
- About the Director, City of Newark. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Office of the City Clerk, City of Newark. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: City of Newark, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- DP-1 – Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Newark city, Essex County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 14, 2012.
- Table DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Newark city, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed February 14, 2012.
- PEPANNRSIP - Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places of 50,000 or More, Ranked by July 1, 2016 Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2016 - United States -- Places of 50,000+ Population from the 2016 Population Estimates, United States Census Bureau. Accessed January 4, 2018.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 – State – County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 6, 2013.
- Dickson, Paul. Labels for Locals: What to Call People from Abilene to Zimbabwe, p. 160. HarperCollins, 2006. ISBN 9780060881641. Accessed August 6, 2013.
- ZIP codes for Newark, New Jersey, United States Postal Service. Accessed February 14, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 18, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup – NPA NXX for Newark, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed September 11, 2014.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed June 28, 2012.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Newark (New Jersey)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newark, New Jersey.|