WWE Women's Championship (1956–2010)
The English used in this article may not be easy for everybody to understand. (January 2012)
|WWE Women's Championship|
Layla, the last Women's Champion, with the belt.
|Date established||September 18, 1956|
|Date retired||September 19, 2010|
History[change | change source]
The WWE Women's Championship has descended from the National Wrestling Alliance World Women's Championship when The Fabulous Moolah became champion and held the title close to 30 years. The Title became inactive in 1990 when Rockin' Robin Vacated the Title after departing from the WWF. In 1993 Alundra Blayze won the Title after Winning a Tournament. However the Title became Inactive after Alundra Blayze dropped the Title into a Garbage Can live on WCW Monday Nitro this incident forced her to give up the title.
Final champion[change | change source]
The final champion was Layla El who defeated Beth Phoenix in a two-on-one handicap match with Michelle McCool on Smackdown and McCool self-proclaimed herself as the co-Women's Champion. The title was unified with the WWE Diva's Championship on September 19, 2010 and retired.
Related pages[change | change source]
- World Wrestling Entertainment
- WWE Diva's Championship
- WWE Women's Championship
- WWE Raw Women's Championship
- WWE Smackdown Women's Championship
References[change | change source]
- "Mickie's third Reign". WWE.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-30. Retrieved 2007-10-23. Unknown parameter
- "History of the Women's Championship". Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- "History of the Divas Championship". Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- The Fabulous Moolah technically became the inaugural WWF Women's Champion in 1984, but as per WWE's official title history, she became the inaugural champion in 1956 when she won the NWA World Women's Championship.
- The Fabulous Moolah technically has the most reigns at eight, but the WWE does not recognize title changes from 1956 until 1984. As officially recognized by WWE, Moolah only has four reigns and Trish Stratus has the most reigns at seven.
- As per WWE's official title history. The Fabulous Moolah's real consecutive number of days as champion is 3,651 days, which is still the longest reign. Moolah first lost the championship in 1966, but WWE does not recognize title changes from 1956 until 1984.