|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Founder(s)||Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley|
|Key people||Craig Palmer (CEO)|
|Employees||127 (September 2011)|
|Alexa rank||140 (July 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Wiki farm|
|Advertising||Direct and advertising networks|
Wikia, Inc., also known as FANDOM and used to be known as Wikicities, is an organization for making websites that are wikis. Wikia was started in 2004 by Jimmy Wales,who also started Wikipedia, and Angela Beesley. The name of Wikicities was changed to Wikia on March 27, 2006 to prevent other people from mistaking it for a wiki on cities.
Wikis hosted on Wikia are about something which many people will like, but they are more specialized than Wikipedia. All content on Wikia is released under a free license, such as the GNU Free Documentation License or the Creative Commons. Anybody can change pages on wikis at Wikia, so that no single person "owns" or is "the boss" of a wiki, and so that large communities can be made. The software used is MediaWiki.
Wikis hosted on Wikia usually have much lower standards of notability than Wikipedia does. This means that something can have an article on Wikia, but not on Wikipedia. Also, articles on Wikia are often written in more "in-universe" style; meaning that fictional characters and plots are written as if they are real. Some projects on Wikia are more for people who are very interested in the topic.
In August 2010, they said that a new look was coming, making some people take their wikis off the service.
Well-known wikis[change | change source]
There are several wikis that are the biggest and most well known. For example, LyricWiki is currently the biggest wiki in Wikia with more than 1 million articles. The Fanon Wiki is also well known for its fan fiction articles.
References[change | change source]
- Wikia, Inc. "Wikia, Inc". Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Wikia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Wales, Jimmy, (born 7 Aug. 1966), Founder, Wikipedia.org, 2001; Co-Founder and President, Wikia Inc., since 2004". Who's Who (Oxford University Press). 2008-12-01. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.247467.
- Sites using MediaWiki. Wikia is being listed on that page
- Wikimedia Foundation's donation page
- Introduction to Wikia's new look
- Special:Version on Wikia
- Community Central's Hub for big wikis
Other websites[change | change source]
- Wikia Community Central
- Main Page of Wikia in English
- Main Pages of Wikia in many different languages
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikia.|