Town hall of Wiltz
Map showing, in orange, the Wiltz commune
|• Mayor||Frank Arndt|
|• Total||39.3 km2 (15.2 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||506 m (1,660 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||285 m (935 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (440/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
History[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
The commune is in the Oesling, a region within the greater Ardennes area. It has an area of 39.3 km2 (15.2 sq mi). The altitude is 285–506 m (935–1,660 ft) high. At the castle, the altitude is 464 m (1,522 ft) high.
Wiltz is surrounded by six communes: Wincrange to the north and northwest, Clervaux to the northeast, Kiischpelt to the east, Goesdorf to the southeast, Lac de la Haute-Sûre to the south and southwest, and Winseler to the west.
Population[change | change source]
Other towns, besides the town of Wiltz, within the commune are Roullingen and Weidingen.
Evolution of the population in Wiltz
Places of interest[change | change source]
One of the main features of the town is Wiltz Castle (French: Château de Wiltz, German: Schloss Wiltz, Luxembourgish: Schlass Wolz) which belonged to the former Counts of Wiltz. This castle, which is situated on 600 acres (2.4 km2) of lawns and gardens, contains hundreds of rooms. It was completed in 1727, and the final Count died in 1793.
Twin towns[change | change source]
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Surface area of the cantons and municipalities". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Population by canton and municipality 1821 - 2017". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Altitudes of the different localities per cantons (in m)". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Jumelages et Pactes". Commune de Wiltz. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wiltz.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Wiltz|
- Official website (in French)