Cathedral of Saint Peter
|• Lord Mayor||Michael Kissel (SPD)|
|• Total||108.73 km2 (41.98 sq mi)|
|Elevation||86 m (282 ft)|
|• Density||760/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
06242, 06246, 06247
Worms (pronounced /voɐms/) is a city in southwestern Germany in the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz). It lies on the River Rhine. Worms is famous for its local Liebfraumilch wine. It is an industrial center, producing chemicals and metal goods. At the end of 2004, it had 85,829 inhabitants.
Along with Cologne and Trier, Worms is one the oldest cities in Germany. But, there is a disagreement which of the three is actually the oldest. The town is mentioned in the Nibelungenlied, an old Germanic saga. The town was also very important because of Martin Luther who defended his case against the emperor Charles V in Worms.
The Cathedral of Saint Peter is a very large church in the town. It is one of only three Romanesque cathedrals in Germany. The other two are in Mainz and Speyer. The Worms cathedral is one of the most important Romanesque buildings in Germany.
References[change | change source]
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2015" (PDF). Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Worms at Wikimedia Commons
- The Official website of the town of Worms (in English)
- Nibelungenmuseum website (in English)
- wormser-dom.de, website of the Worms Cathedral with pictures (in German; click on the "Bilder" link in the left pane)