From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||5th century – 6th century – 7th century|
|Decades:||570s 580s 590s – 600s – 610s 620s 630s|
|Years:||597 598 599 – 600 – 601 602 603|
600 was a common year of the Gregorian calendar.
Events[change | edit source]
By Place[change | edit source]
World[change | edit source]
- The population of the Earth rises to about 208 million people.
Europe[change | edit source]
- Smallpox arrives in Europe for the first time.
- King Ingvar of Sweden invades Estonia but is killed by the locals.
- Juchau Anglo-Saxon tribesmen arrive in England.
Asia[change | edit source]
The Americas[change | edit source]
- Loma Caldera in El Salvador erupts.
- The Hopewell culture of North America becomes less popular.
- The Aztec city of Teotihuacán begins to get unstable.
By Topic[change | edit source]
Arts and Sciences[change | edit source]
Religion[change | edit source]
- Pope Gregory I writes what comes to be known as Gregorian chant.
- The building on the monastery of St. Catherine is begun on Mount Sinai.
- Irish missionaries pray in Scotland and Germany.
- Chinese-influenced sculptures of Buddha begin to be created in Japan.
- Sumatra, Java, and the surrounding islands are changed to believe inBuddhism.
- Augustine of Canterbury changes Ethelbert of Kent's religion to Christianity (approximate date).
- Nubian rulers become Christian (approximate date).
Births[change | edit source]
Deaths[change | edit source]
- Venance Fortunat, bishop of Poitiers, one of the last representatives of Classical Latin poetry
- King Beop of Baekje, king of the Baekje Kingdom of Korea
- Yang Jun