Jan Tinbergen in 1982
|Born||April 12, 1903
|Died||June 9, 1994
|Alma mater||Leiden University|
|Doctoral advisor||Paul Ehrenfest|
|Doctoral students||Tjalling Koopmans|
|Known for||First national macroeconomic model|
|Influences||Oskar R. Lange|
|Notable awards||Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (1969)|
Early life[change | change source]
Nobel Prize[change | change source]
He was awarded the first Nobel Prize in Economics in 1969. He shared the award with Ragnar Frisch for having developed and applied dynamic models for the analysis of economic processes. Tinbergen was a founding trustee of Economists for Peace and Security.
Tinbergen's debate[change | change source]
Tinbergen’s econometric picture lead to a debate between other several known economists such as J.M. Keynes, Ragnar Frisch and Milton Friedman. The debate is sometime called the Tinbergen debate.
Personal life[change | change source]
Tinbergen was never married. He also had no children. He died on June 9, 1994 at The Hague from natural causes, aged 91.
Some books[change | change source]
- Business Cycles in the United States, 1919–1932, Geneva, 1939 and New York, 1968
- Business Cycles in the United Kingdom, 1870–1914, Amsterdam, 1951
- On the Theory of Economic Policy. Second edition (1952) is Volume 1 of Contributions to Economic Analysis, Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Centralization and Decentralization in Economic Policy, Amsterdam, 1954 ISBN 0-313-23077-3.
- Economic Policy: Principles and Design, Amsterdam, 1956
- The Element of Space in Development Planning (together with L.B.M. Mennes and J.G. Waardenburg), Amsterdam, 1969
- The Dynamics of Business Cycles: A Study in Economic Fluctuations. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1974. ISBN 0-226-80418-6.
- Der Dialog Nord-Süd: Informationen zur Entwicklungspolitik. Frankfurt am Main: Europ. Verlagsanstalt, 1977.
- Economic policy: Principles and Design. Amsterdam, 1978. ISBN 0-7204-3129-8.
References[change | change source]
- Leeson, R. (1998). "The Ghosts I Called I Can’t Get Rid of Now: the Keynes-Tinbergen-Friedman-Phillips Critique of Keynesian Macroeconometrics". History of Political Economy 30 (1): 51–94. .
- Louçã, F. (1999). "The econometric challenge to Keynes: Arguments and contradictions in the early debates about a late issue". The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought 6 (3): 404. . http://courses.umass.edu/econ804/LoucaBackgroundFiles1.pdf.
- Jan Tinbergen (1903–1994). Library of Economics and Liberty (2nd ed.). Liberty Fund. 2008. http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Tinbergen.html.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Jan Tinbergen|
- TINBERGEN, Jan in: Biografisch Woordenboek van het Socialisme en de Arbeidersbeweging in Nederland
- Jan Tinbergen College (Dutch website)
- Profile at The International Institute of Social Studies (ISS)