|Born||29 December 1910
Willesden, London, United Kingdom
|Died||2 September 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Alma mater||London School of Economics|
|Awards||Nobel Prize in Economics (1991)|
Ronald Harry Coase (29 December 1910 – 2 September 2013) was a British economist. He was the a Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago Law School. Coase won the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1991.
Early life[change | edit source]
Education[change | edit source]
Due to this problem, he attended the school for physical defectives. At the age of 12, he was able to enter at the Kilburn Grammar School on scholarship. Coase attended the London School of Economics, where he received a bachelor of commerce degree in 1932.
Career[change | edit source]
After studying with the University of London External Programme in 1927–29, Coase entered the London School of Economics, where he took courses with Arnold Plant. He received the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1991.
Coase became the oldest living Nobel laureate before his death in 2013.
Personal life[change | edit source]
Coase was married to Marian Hartung from 1937 until his death in 2013. They had no children.
Death[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- Ronald Coase. "Nobel Prize Autobiography," 1991
- "Ronald Coase Dead: Nobel Prize-Winning Economist Dies At 102". Huffington Post.com. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/ronald-coase-dead-_n_3861340.html.
- "Retired U. of C. economist won Nobel". Chicago Sun-Times.com. September 4, 2013. http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/22353591-418/oldest-nobel-prize-winner-ronald-coase-former-university-of-chicago-economics-prof-dead-at-102.html. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Galer, Sarah (2 September 2013). "Ronald H. Coase, Founding Scholar in Law and Economics, 1910–2013 | University of Chicago Law School". Law.uchicago.edu. http://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/coaseinmemoriam. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Coase Institute
- "Looking for Results", interview in Reason by Thomas W. Hazlett
- 2003 Coase Centennial Speech delivered by Coase (500MB QuickTime file, recommend downloading video before watching)
- Schumpeter "Why do Firms Exist?", Economist, 16 December 2010.
- Russ Roberts's "Coase on Externalities, the Firm, and the State of Economics" from the Library of Economics and Liberty