|The Simpsons character|
|Relatives||Parents: Homer and Marge
Siblings: Bart and Lisa
Grandparents: Abraham Simpson, Mona Simpson, Jacqueline Bouvier and Clancy Bouvier
Aunts: Patty and Selma Bouvier
(See also Simpson family)
|Ullman shorts||"Good Night"|
|The Simpsons||"Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire"|
Like most babies, Maggie copies what she sees around her. She once hit Homer on the head with a mallet, shot a suction dart at his picture and attacked him with a pencil in imitation of Itchy and Scratchy. Maggie is also very accurate with a gun, she shot Mr.Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns".
During the early episodes, Maggie's well-known feature would be to trip over her clothes and fall on her face causing a loud smack on the floor. Throughout the early episodes, Maggie fell down 39 times.
Maggie was named after Matt Groening's sister Maggie Groening. She often sucked on a pacifier and wore a sleep suit like Maggie. Groening thought that it would be funny to have a baby character that did not talk and never grew up, but showed any emotions that the scene needed.
With few exceptions, Maggie never speaks but is aware of what is going around her. Maggie has spoken in "Good Night", the first cartoon to air on The Tracey Ullman Show. When the rest of the family falls asleep, she speaks and her voice is played by Liz Georges.
Maggie's first word spoken in the normal television show of the series happened in "Lisa's First Word", when she was voiced by Elizabeth Taylor and says "Daddy" in an empty room. Elizabeth Taylor as Maggie was later named the 13th greatest guest spot in the history of the show. James Earl Jones, who voiced Maggie in Treehouse of Horror V, was in seventh place. She would later have small sentences in Treehouse of Horror IX, voiced by Harry Shearer, who used his Kang voice. Her squeaks and occasional speaking parts are regularly done by Nancy Cartwright or Yeardley Smith.[source?]
- Maggie has been voiced by numerous people in various episodes. In canon episodes, she has only ever said one word, which was spoken by Elizabeth Taylor.
- "Maggie File" SNPP.com. Retrieved on March 27, 2007
- Hamilton, Don (12-07-2002). "Matt Groening's Portland". The Portland Tribune. http://www.movingtoportland.net/matt_groening.htm. Retrieved 05-08-2009.
- Sadownick, Doug (February 26, 1991). "Groening Against the Grain". Advocate. http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/groening91.html. Retrieved March 27, 2007.
- Groening, Matt; Jean, Al; Brooks, James L.. (2007). The Simpsons Movie: A Look Behind the Scenes [DVD]. The Sun.
- "Liz Georges - Filmography by year". www.imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313676/filmoyear. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- Face to Face: Maggie Simpson EW.com. Published September 11, 1992, Retrieved on March 27, 2007
- "Lisa's First Word"
- Top 25 Simpsons Guest Appearances, Page 3 IGN.com. Published September 5, 2006, Retrieved on March 27, 2007
- Top 25 Simpsons Guest Appearances, Page 4 IGN.com. Published September 5, 2006, Retrieved on March 27, 2007
- Richmond, Ray; Antonia Coffman (1997). The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to our Favorite Family. Harper Collins Publishers. pp. pg. 154, 155. ISBN 0-00-638898-1.
Other websites [change]
- Biography from the official Simpsons website
- Maggie's page at BBC.co.uk
- The Maggie File unofficial trivia compilation
- The Cutest Baby