WWE Hell in a Cell
WWE Hell in a Cell is a professional wrestling event produced every year by WWE, a Connecticut–based professional wrestling promotion, and broadcast live only on pay-per-view (PPV). The event began in 2009, replacing No Mercy in the early October slot of WWE's PPV calendar. In 2012, WWE announced that Hell in a Cell would move to late October, leaving only one pay-per-view in October.
The show's concept is based on WWE's well-known Hell in a Cell match, in which wrestlers fight inside a 20-foot (6-metre) high roofed cell structure surrounding the ring and ringside area. Each main event match of the card is contested as a Hell in a Cell match. "Hell in a Cell" was chosen over "No Escape", "Locked Up" and "Rage in a Cage".
Since it began, the event has been held only in indoor arenas in the United States. Championship bouts are scheduled on every card. Under the former Brand Extension, WWE assigned its performers to either Raw or SmackDown, which in the 2009 and 2010 events caused matches to be set up between wrestlers on the same show.
In this PPV, all main events are fought as Hell in a Cell matches, in which the ring and ringside area are surrounded by a 20-foot high roofed cell structure. This type of match has no disqualifications or countouts, and also no escape. The only way to win is by pinfall or submission inside the ring.
Dates and venues [change]
|Hell in a Cell (2009)||October 4, 2009||Newark, New Jersey||Prudential Center||D-Generation X (Triple H and Shawn Michaels) vs. The Legacy (Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) in a Tag team Hell in a Cell match|
|Hell in a Cell (2010)||October 3, 2010||Dallas, Texas||American Airlines Center||Randy Orton (c) vs. Sheamus in a Hell in a Cell match for the WWE Championship
Kane (c) vs. The Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match for the World Heavyweight Championship
|Hell in a Cell (2011)||October 2, 2011||New Orleans, Louisiana||New Orleans Arena||Mark Henry (c) vs. Randy Orton in a Hell in a Cell match for the World Heavyweight Championship
John Cena vs. CM Punk (c)vs. Alberto Del Rio in a Triple Threat Hell in a Cell match for the WWE Championship
|Hell in a Cell (2012)||October 28, 2012 ||Atlanta, Georgia||Philips Arena||CM Punk (c) vs. Ryback in a Hell in a Cell Match for the WWE Championship|
Related pages [change]
- Caldwell, James (2009-06-27). "WWE News: WWE changes the names of two more PPVs; Report on WWE fan input leading to changes". Pro Wrestling Torch. http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_33127.shtml. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Specialty Matches: Hell in a Cell". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/specialtymatches/hellinacell. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "WWE seeking feedback on PPVs". WrestleView. http://www.wrestleview.com/news2009/1245448682.php. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "WWE Entertainment To Make Raw and SmackDown Distinct Television Brands". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2002-03-27. http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2002/2002_03_27.jsp. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "WWE Hell in a Cell". Prudential Center. http://www.prucenter.com/default.asp?prucenter=87&objId=608. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Adkins, Greg (2009-10-04). "Results:DX-perience prevails". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/shows/hellinacell/history/hellinacell/matches/11663600/results/. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Hell in a Cell 2010". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/schedules/events/rw/eventdetail/14640428. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Results: Sins of the father". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/shows/hellinacell/matches/15798944/results/. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Hell in a Cell 2011". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/shows/hellinacell. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Hell in a Cell 2012". WWE. http://www.wwe.com/shows/hellinacell. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
Other websites [change]