Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1110s 1120s 1130s – 1140s – 1150s 1160s 1170s|
|Years:||1137 1138 1139 – 1140 – 1141 1142 1143|
Events[change | change source]
By area[change | change source]
Europe[change | change source]
- December 21 – Conrad III of Germany besieged Weinsberg, the stronghold of Welfs.
- Henry Jasomirgott is made count palatine of the Rhine.
- The town of Lanark in Scotland is made a Royal Burgh by David I of Scotland.
- Marburg becomes a town.
- The Assizes of Ariano are enacted by Roger II of Sicily.
- Roger II of Sicily places the practice of medicine under royal control.
By topic[change | change source]
Religion[change | change source]
- June 3 – Pierre Abelard is condemned for heresy by a church court in Sens, France.
- September 8 – Sephardi Jewish philosopher Judah Halevi, having completed the Kuzari, arrives in Alexandria on a pilgrimage to Palestine.
- The first Cistercian monastery in Spain is founded in Fitero. The order enjoys a rapid expansion in the region in the following 15 years.
- Camaldolite monk Gratian founds the science of Canon law with the publication of the Decretum Gratiani.
Births[change | change source]
Deaths[change | change source]
- January 12 – Louis I, Landgrave of Thuringia
- February 6 – Thurstan, Archbishop of York
- February 14
- November 15 – Adelaide of Hungary, Duchess of Bohemia
- date unknown &ndahs; Kitti Sri Megha, Sri Lankan ruler