Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1440s 1450s 1460s – 1470s – 1480s 1490s 1500s|
|Years:||1476 1477 1478 – 1479 – 1480 1481 1482|
Events[change | change source]
- January 20 – Ferdinand II becomes king of Aragon and rules together with his wife Isabella, queen of Castile over most of the Iberian peninsula. Together they take over Granada in 1492, ending 800 years of Moorish rule.
- January 25 – Treaty of Istanbul between Ottoman Empire and Republic of Venice, in which Venice agrees to give land to the Ottomans and pay them 10,000 ducats a year.
- August 7 – Battle of Guinegate – A French army sent to invade the Netherlands is defeated by Maximilian of Austria.
- September 4 – Treaty of Alcáçovas ends War of Castilian Succession.
- October 13 – Battle of Kenyérmező – The Hungarian army led by Pál Kinizsi and István Báthori defeats the Ottoman Turk army in Transsylvania, Hungary.
- Christopher Columbus, a sailor and trader in the Genoese community in Portugal, marries Felipa Perestrelo Moniz and receives as dowry her dead father's maps and papers charting the seas and winds around the Madeira Islands and other Portuguese island colonies.