From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1570s 1580s 1590s – 1600s – 1610s 1620s 1630s|
|Years:||1601 1602 1603 – 1604 – 1605 1606 1607|
Events[change | change source]
- January 14 – Hampton Court conference with James I of England, the Anglican bishops and representatives of Puritans
- September 20 – Capture of Ostend by Spanish forces under Ambrosio Spinola after a three year siege.
- October 9 – Supernova 1604 is observed. As of this writing, this was the last supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- November 1 – At Whitehall Palace in London, the William Shakespeare tragedy Othello is presented for the first time.
- The Sikh Holy Scripture Guru Granth Sahib is compiled and edited by Guru Arjan .
- Luis Váez de Torres is the first European to sail through the Torres Strait.
- France begins settling Acadia, first successful French North American colony
- France begins settling French Guiana.
- England concludes the Treaty of London with Spain, ending its involvement in the Eighty Years' War.
- Peter Blundell founds Blundell's School in Tiverton, England.
- Za Dengel deposed as Emperor of Ethiopia by Za Sellase, who restores his cousin Yaqob.
- The first known English Dictionary to be organized by alphabetical ordering was published.