Adele in concert, March 2016.
|Born||Adele Laurie Blue Adkins
5 May 1988
Tottenham, London, England, UK
|Net worth||£85 million|
|Origin||West Norwood, London, England, UK|
Early life[change | change source]
Adele graduated from The BRIT School in Croydon in May 2006. In July 2006, Adele published two songs on the fourth issue of online arts magazine PlatformsMagazine.com. After graduation, Adele began to play small shows at places all over Britain. She has also toured with best friend Jack Peñate, as well as Jamie T, Raul Midon, Devendra Banhart, Amos Lee and Keren Ann since summer 2006. Adele went on her first UK headlining tour in October 2007.
Singing career[change | change source]
Adele's first single released was "Hometown Glory". On it, she sings about Tottenham. The album was released on 22 October 2007 on Jamie T's label Pacemaker Recordings. It is a limited edition 7" vinyl with B-side "Best for Last". She has since signed to independent music label XL Recordings. In January 2008, she released her second single "Chasing Pavements".
Adele has become quite popular on MySpace. She is following the example of fellow Londoner Lily Allen by using the web as a mediafocus and a place to see what people think of her songs. Adele performed Daydreamer on BBC2's Later With Jools Holland, alongside Paul McCartney and Björk. She was next on BBC1's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on 7 December 2007, singing Chasing Pavements.
On 10 December 2007, Adele was awarded with the first BRIT Awards Critics’ Choice prize. She has been called the "new Amy Winehouse." In January 2008, she was voted winner in the annual BBC 6 Music poll of industry experts Sound of 2008, for acts to emerge in the coming year.
In 2011 Adele released her second album, 21, named after her age at the time it was made. It was number one in more than 26 countries. It became the biggest selling album of the 21st century.
Her third studio album, 25, was released on 20 November 2015 and debuted at number one all around the world. The music video for the lead single "Hello", which also debuted at number one in many countries, broke the record for the shortest amount of time for a YouTube video to reach one billion views. The song was also certified 4× Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America faster than any other song in history. To date, it has been certified 7× Platinum by the RIAA.
Personal life[change | change source]
In October 2012, Adele gave birth to her son, Angelo, with her then-boyfriend, Simon Konecki. In 2013 she won an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song and the Brit Award for Best British Single for the title track for the James Bond movie Skyfall. The song also won the award for Best Song for Visual Media at the Grammy Awards.
In 2017, Adele confirmed that she is married to Konecki.
Discography[change | change source]
Singles[change | change source]
- "Hometown Glory" – 22 October 2007
- "Chasing Pavements" – 21 January 2008
- "Cold Shoulder" – 28 April 2008
- "Make You Feel My Love" – 27 October 2008
- "Rolling in the Deep" – 29 November 2010 (was the number-one single of 2011 in Canada and the US)
- "Someone Like You" – 24 March 2011 (her first number-one single in her native UK)
- "Set Fire to the Rain" – 4 July 2011 (her third US number-one, after "Someone Like You")
- "Rumour Has It" – 1 November 2011 (top-20 in the US and Canada)
- "Turning Tables" – 5 November 2011
- "Skyfall" – 5 October 2012 (top-ten in the US, UK, and Canada)
- "Hello" – 23 October 2015 (number one in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia)
- "When We Were Young" – 22 January 2016 (top-ten in Canada and UK, top 15 in US)
- "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" – 16 May 2016 (top ten in US, UK, Canada)
- "Water Under the Bridge"
Albums[change | change source]
|19 – 28 January 2008
||21 – 19 January 2011||25 – 20 November 2015|
Grammy Awards[change | change source]
The Grammy Awards are awarded each year by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States for outstanding achievements in the music industry. Some think they are the highest music honor.
As of February 13, 2017, Adele has received 15 Grammy Awards from 18 nominations. In 2012, Adele became the second female artist to win six awards in one night, after Beyoncé Knowles did in 2010. Adele is only the second artist (following Christopher Cross) to have won all four of the General Field ("Big Four") awards at the Grammys.
|2009||Adele||Best New Artist||Won|||
|"Chasing Pavements"||Record of the Year||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Female Pop Vocal Performance||Won|||
|2012||21||Album of the Year||Won|||
|Best Pop Vocal Album||Won|
|"Rolling in the Deep"||Record of the Year||Won|
|Song of the Year||Won|
|Best Short Form Music Video||Won|
|"Someone Like You"||Best Pop Solo Performance
|2013||"Set Fire to the Rain" (Live)||Won|||
|2014||"Skyfall"||Best Song Written for Visual Media||Won|
||"Hello"||Song of the Year||Won|||
|Record of the Year||Won|
|Best Pop Solo Performance||Won|
|25||Album of the Year||Won|
|Best Pop Vocal Album||Won|
References[change | change source]
- "Platforms Magazine – Issue 4". http://www.platformsmagazine.com/4/contents.htm.
- "Soul singers top new talent list". BBC 6 Music. 4 January 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7169307.stm. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- O'Neill, Thomas (1999). The Grammys: The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to Music's Highest Honor. Perigee Trade.
- "Adele nominated for six Grammys". BBC News. BBC. 1 December 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15980116. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Grammy glory for returning Adele". BBC News. BBC. 13 February 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17007642. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "List of winners at the 55th annual Grammy Awards". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/02/10/grammy-winners-list/1907129/. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Past Winners Search | GRAMMY.com". GRAMMY.com. The Recording Academy. https://www.grammy.com/nominees/search?artist=adele&field_nominee_work_value=&year=All&genre=All. Retrieved 13 February 2017.