|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
2016 (MMXVI) is a leap year starting on Friday in the Gregorian calendar and is the current year. It is the 2016th year in the Common Era or Anno Domini designations, and the 16th year in the 3rd millennium and 21st century.
The year has been designated as the International Year of Pulses by the sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Events[change | change source]
January[change | change source]
- January 3 – Following the fallout caused by the execution of Nimr al-Nimr, Saudi Arabia ends its diplomatic relations with Iran.
- January 8 – Joaquín Guzmán, widely regarded as the world's most powerful drug trafficker, is recaptured following his escape from a maximum security prison.
- January 16 – The International Atomic Energy Agency announces that Iran has adequately dismantled its nuclear weapons program, allowing the United Nations to lift sanctions immediately.
- January 28 - WHO announces an outbreak of the Zika Virus.
Predicted events[change | change source]
- April 4 – Square root day.
- May 9 – Transit of Mercury
- June 11 – July 3 – 2016 European Football Championship (Host scheduled to be picked in May 2010)
- June 29 – Analog shut-off in Brazil
- August 5 – 21 – 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- November 8 – United States Presidential and Congressional elections.
Unknown dates[change | change source]
- European Capital Of Culture 2016 – European Union choose two European cities, from Poland and from Spain to become the European Capitals Of Culture in this year.
- The right for the U.S. forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end at this year, but there will be a provision for an automatic extension for another 20 years for the US forces to remain stationed on the island.
- Start of unmanned test flights of Altair for future U.S. lunar landings.
- ITER, an international scientific experiment (2nd largest worldwide ever) into developing nuclear fusion as an energy source will boot up for the first time.
- Files concerning Rudolf Hess made open to the public
- The Centralia, Pennsylvania time capsule will open
- NASA Juno, Jupiter orbiter
- The world's largest suspension bridge will be completed, connecting Sicily and main land Italy.
Deaths[change | change source]
Hit songs[change | change source]
- Don't Be So Shy - Imany
- Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun
- Work (Rihanna song) - Rihanna and Drake
- Dessert (song) - Dawin
- Me, Myself, and I (song) - G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha
- WTF (Where They From) - Missy Elliott
- Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
- Used to Love You - Gwen Stefani
- Out of the Woods - Taylor Swift
- Lazarus (song) - David Bowie
- Mr. Misunderstood - Eric Church
- Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton
- Home Alone Tonight - Luke Bryan and Karen Fairchild
In fiction[change | change source]
Computer and video games[change | change source]
- Games set in 2016:
Movies[change | change source]
- Ghostbusters II (1989): According to a guest on Peter Venkman's talk show, the end of the world will occur on February 14.
Television series[change | change source]
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The controversial completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single consummate being.
- In an episode of Phil of the Future, Phil states that chores were banned in the year 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Agence France-Presse on Twitter". Twitter. https://twitter.com/AFP/status/683742509407801346. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "'El Chapo': Sean Penn interviewed Guzman before recapture". BBC News. 10 Jan 2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-35275070. Retrieved 10 Jan 2016.
- "Iran nuclear deal: 'New chapter' for Tehran as sanctions end". BBC. 17 Jan 2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35336707. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "'Zika virus spreading explosively'". CNN. 28 Jan 2016. http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/28/health/zika-virus-global-response/index.html.