|46th President of Peru|
July 28, 2001 – July 28, 2006
|Vice President||Raúl Diez Canseco |
|Preceded by||Valentín Paniagua|
|Succeeded by||Alan Garcia|
|Born||March 28, 1946|
|Political party||Perú Posible|
|Alma mater||University of San Francisco|
Alejandro Toledo is a former president of Peru. He won the 2001 election for president. He gained international prominence after leading the opposition against president Alberto Fujimori, who held the presidency from 1990 to 2000.
Early life[change | change source]
He pursued his undergraduate and graduate education at the University of San Francisco and Stanford University. He originally joined the technical and academic field, from where he participated as an analyst on politics and economics on some occasions.
Political career[change | change source]
He entered politics when he founded the País Posible party, participating for the first time in the 1995 general election. In 2000, he managed to become in the largest opposition leader to the government of Alberto Fujimori, before whom in the midst of a controversial and bumpy process, lost the election for a second time. After the transition stage and the return of democracy in Peru, he participated for the third time in the 2001 elections against Lourdes Flores of National Unity and Alan García of the Peruvian Aprista Party; he competed with the latter in the second round, winning with 53.1% of the popular vote.
Arrest[change | change source]
Personal life[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Revista GENTE, 16 de julio de 1987. Entrevista SI FUERA MINISTRO a Alejandro Toledo.
- ¿Cómo pasó Alejandro Toledo de ser el líder de la batalla contra Fujimori en Perú a estar acusado de corrupción?
- "PERÚ: Elecciones recuerdan a fraude del 2000". Archived from the original on 5 September 2019. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Toledo gana las elecciones presidenciales de Perú con el 52,76% de los votos
- Alejandro Toledo es arrestado en EE.UU. "por mandato de extradición"
- "Conceden libertad bajo fianza a Alejandro Toledo por riesgo de Covid-19 | PERU". 19 March 2020.
- "Alejandro Toledo saldrá en libertad bajo fianza por riesgo a contagiarse de coronavirus". El Comercio (in Spanish). 19 March 2020. Retrieved 26 May 2021.