International border on Av. Dr. Francia
Location of Amambay, in red, in Paraguay
|Capital||Pedro Juan Caballero|
|Boroughs||Pedro Juan Caballero, Capitán Matías Bado, Bella Vista Norte, Zanja Pyta, Karapa`i|
|• Governor||Pedro González Ramírez|
|• Total||12,933 km2 (4,993 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.7/km2 (25/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-04 (AST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-03 (ADT)|
|ISO 3166 code||PY-13|
The name comes from the name of a part of the Caaguazú Cordillera, the "Amambay Cordillera" (Spanish: Cordillera de Amambay). Amambay (or amambái) means "fern" in Guaraní language; ferns are common in the forests of the region.
History[change | change source]
The town of Pedro Juan Caballero was found in 1893, and Bella Vista, in 1902. The department of Amambay was created in 1945 as the No. 10 department of the country. After some reorganization it was declared as the No. 13 department.,
Pedro Juan Caballero, the capital of the department, is still known by its old name, Punta Porá, because is near the Punta Porá Hill; that name was used by the people that transported yerba mate from Mato Grosso to Concepción. The BrazilIan municipality across the border, Ponta Porã (Mato Grosso do Sul), keeps the name.
Geography[change | change source]
Amambay is the highest of the Paraguayan departments, 300–400 m (984–1,312 ft) high, and the Punta Porá Hill, 700 m (2,297 ft) high, is one the highest point in the country.
Limits[change | change source]
- To the north: Brazil, separated by the Apa river and the Amambay Cordillera.
- To the east: Brazil, separated by the Amambay Cordillera.
- To the south: Canindeyú department.
- To the west: Concepción and San Pedro departments.
Rivers[change | change source]
Climate[change | change source]
As of 2012[update], the total amount of precipitation for the year 2012 in the city of Pedro Juan Caballero was 1,800.7 mm (70.9 in). The month with the most precipitation was February with 253.6 mm (10.0 in) of precipitation. The month with the least precipitation was May with 2.1 mm (0.1 in).
The average temperature for the year 2012 in Pedro Juan Caballero was 22.5 °C (72.5 °F). The warmest month, on average, was December with an average temperature of 31.8 °C (89.2 °F). The coolest month on average is July, with an average temperature of 17.1 °C (62.8 °F).
Districts[change | change source]
The department is divided in 5 districts:
|Pedro Juan Caballero||2,678||113,872||42.5|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Gobernador" (in Spanish). Gobernación de Concepción. Archived from the original on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Proyección Densidad Tasa 2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Dirección General de Estadísticas, Encuestas y Censos. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Amambay" (in Spanish). Gobernación de Concepción. Archived from the original on 2016-10-12. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Compendio Estadístico Ambiental del Paraguay 2002-2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Dirección General de Estadísticas, Encuestas y Censos. December 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Proyección de la población por sexo y edad, según distrito. Revisión 2015 (8.3 MB)" (PDF) (in Spanish). DGEEC. 2015. p. 36. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amambay Department.|