Andrew "Andy" Murray (born 15 May 1987) is a Scottish tennis player. He is ranked as the number one British tennis player. He is number 2 in the world rankings, his best ever ATP ranking. He achieved this ranking for the first time in August 2009.
Career[change | change source]
Murray was given a Wild Card to Wimbledon and the US Open in 2005, where he lost in the third round to David Nalbandian at Wimbledon; and in the second round at the US Open. Murray claimed his first title in 2006 at the SAP Open as he beat Lleyton Hewitt in the final. He has appeared in 11 Grand Slam finals, winning three. The first time was in the 2008 US Open. The second time was in the 2010 Australian Open. Both times he lost to Roger Federer. The third time was in the 2011 Australian Open, when he lost to Novak Djokovic. The fourth time was in the 2012 Wimbledon Championships, when he lost to Roger Federer again. Murray won a gold medal in the singles of the London 2012 Summer Olympics, beating Federer in straight sets. Murray won the US Open singles later in 2012, defeating Novak Djokovic. In 2013, Murray won the Wimbledon singles, beating Djokovic 6–4, 7–5, 6–4. In 2016, he won the Wimbledon singles again, beating Milos Raonic 6–4, 7–6(7–3), 7–6(7–2) in the final. In August 2016, he won the gold medal in the singles at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Grand Slam record[change | change source]
|Year||Australian Open||French Open||Wimbledon||US Open|
|2005||Did Not Play||Did Not Play||Round 3||Round 2|
|2006||Round 1||Round 1||Round 4||Round 4|
|2007||Round 4||Did Not Play||Did Not Play||Round 3|
|2008||Round 1||Round 3||Quarter-Final||Final|
|2009||Round 4||Quarter-final||Semi-Final||Round 4|
|2010||Final||Round 4||Semi-Final||Round 3|
|2013||Final||Did Not Play||Winner||Quarter-Final|
References[change | change source]
- "Dunblane teenager takes US Open". BBC News. 12 September 2004. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3650524.stm. Retrieved 17 March 2008.
- "Murray loses in French semi-final". BBC Sport. 3 June 2005. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/tennis/4608493.stm. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- Cheese, Caroline (25 June 2005). "Brave Murray falls to Nalbandian". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4619129.stm. Retrieved 25 April 2010.
- "Battling Murray crashes out in US". BBC Sport. 2 September 2005. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4206614.stm. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Magic Murray claims maiden title". BBC Sport. 20 February 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4729100.stm. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Andy Murray beats Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon". BBC. 7 July 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/23217393. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Andy Murray wins Wimbledon by beating Milos Raonic". BBC. 10 July 2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/36758518. Retrieved 19 July 2016.