Location of Artigas, in red, in Uruguay
|Creation||1 October 1884|
|• Intendant||Pablo Caram|
|• Total||11,928 km2 (4,605 sq mi)|
|• Density||6.2/km2 (16/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03 (UYT)|
|ISO 3166 code||UY-AR|
Its ISO 3166-2 code is UY-AR.
Name[change | change source]
The department and its capital city are named after José Gervasio Artigas (1764–1850), leader of the Orientales (inhabitants of the Banda Oriental, the Eastern side of the Uruguay river) during the wars of independence of Uruguay.
Geography[change | change source]
The Artigas department is the most northern department of Uruguay; it is in the northwestern part of the country. It has an area of 11,928 km2 (4,605 sq mi), the fifth largest in the country. The population is 73,378 inhabitants (2011 census) for a population density of 6.2.
Limits[change | change source]
- To the north and east: Brazil, separated by the Cuareim river.
- To the south: Salto department.
- To the west: Argentina, separated by the Uruguay river.
Rivers[change | change source]
The department is surrounded by three rivers:
- Cuareim river (Portuguese: Quaraí), to the north; it makes the border with Brazil.
- Uruguay river to the west; it makes the border with Argentina.
- Arapey Chico river to the south; it separates the Artigas and Salto departments.
Climate[change | change source]
The average amount of precipitation for the year in Artigas is 1,381.8 mm (54.4 in). The month with the most precipitation on average is March with 142.2 mm (5.6 in) of precipitation. The month with the least precipitation on average is August with an average of 83.8 mm (3.3 in).
The average temperature for the year in Artigas is 19 °C (66 °F). The warmest month, on average, is January with an average temperature of 25.4 °C (77.7 °F). The coolest month on average is June, with an average temperature of 12.9 °C (55.2 °F).
Demographics[change | change source]
The inhabitants of the Artigas department (and of the city of Artigas) are known, in Spanish, as Artiguenses.
Evolution of the population in Artigas
- Rural population
- Main towns
|City / Town||Population|
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Intendente de Artigas" (in Spanish). Intendencia Departamental de Artigas. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Censos 2011". Instituto Nacional de Estadística. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 20 Julio 2017. Check date values in:
- "Artigas, Uruguay - Köppen Climate Classification". Weatherbase. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Artigas Department.|