|Coordinates: 30°37′27″S 56°56′42″W / 30.62417°S 56.94500°WCoordinates: 30°37′27″S 56°56′42″W / 30.62417°S 56.94500°W|
|Creation||1 October 1884|
|• Intendant||Pablo Caram|
|• Total||11,928 km2 (4,605 sq mi)|
|• Density||6.2/km2 (16/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03 (UYT)|
|ISO 3166 code||UY-AR|
The Artigas department (Spanish: Departamento de Artigas) is a department of Uruguay. The capital is the city of Artigas.
Its ISO 3166-2 code is UY-AR.
Name[change | change source]
The department and its capital city are named after José Gervasio Artigas (1764–1850), leader of the Orientales (inhabitants of the Banda Oriental, the Eastern side of the Uruguay river) during the wars of independence of Uruguay.
Geography[change | change source]
The Artigas department is the most northern department of Uruguay; it is in the northwestern part of the country. It has an area of 11,928 km2 (4,605 sq mi), the fifth largest in the country. The population is 73,378 inhabitants (2011 census) for a population density of 6.2.
Limits[change | change source]
- To the north and east: Brazil, separated by the Cuareim river.
- To the south: Salto department.
- To the west: Argentina, separated by the Uruguay river.
Artigas is the only Uruguayan department that borders two other countries: Brazil and Argentina.
Rivers[change | change source]
The department is surrounded by three rivers:
- Cuareim river (Portuguese: Quaraí), to the north; it makes the border with Brazil.
- Uruguay river to the west; it makes the border with Argentina.
- Arapey Chico river to the south; it separates the Artigas and Salto departments.
Climate[change | change source]
The Köppen climate classification type for the climate at Artigas is a "Humid subtropical climate" and of the subtype Cfa.
The average amount of precipitation for the year in Artigas is 1,381.8 mm (54.4 in). The month with the most precipitation on average is March with 142.2 mm (5.6 in) of precipitation. The month with the least precipitation on average is August with an average of 83.8 mm (3.3 in).
The average temperature for the year in Artigas is 19 °C (66 °F). The warmest month, on average, is January with an average temperature of 25.4 °C (77.7 °F). The coolest month on average is June, with an average temperature of 12.9 °C (55.2 °F).
Demographics[change | change source]
The inhabitants of the Artigas department (and of the city of Artigas) are known, in Spanish, as Artiguenses.
Evolution of the population in Artigas
- Rural population
According to the 2011 census, the Artigas department has a rural population of 3,524.
- Main towns
|City / Town||Population|
Gallery[change | change source]
Police headquarters, Artigas.
Carnival in Artigas.
Monument to the Gloria de los Héroes.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Intendente de Artigas" (in Spanish). Intendencia Departamental de Artigas. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Censos 2011". Instituto Nacional de Estadística. 10 August 2012. Archived from the original on 5 March 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- ↑ "Artigas, Uruguay - Köppen Climate Classification". Weatherbase. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Intendencia Departamental de Artigas website (in Spanish)
- Statoids - Departments of Uruguay