Chance the Rapper
|Chance the Rapper|
Chance the Rapper performing live in November 2013
|Birth name||Chancelor Johnathan Bennett|
|Also known as||Chano|
|Born||April 16, 1993 
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Chancelor Johnathan Bennett (born April 16, 1993), known professionally as Chance the Rapper, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, and philanthropist from the West Chatham neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois.
Early life[change | change source]
Chance was born to a middle-class family in Chicago, Illinois. He studied at Jones College Prep High School. Following a 10-day suspension in early 2011 during his senior year for possessing marijuana on campus, Bennett recorded his first full-length project, a mixtape titled 10 Day (also known as #10Day).
Career[change | change source]
In 2013, he began to gain recognition following the release of his second mixtape, Acid Rap. Apart from his solo career, he is also a member of the Chicago collective Save Money (along with frequent collaborator Vic Mensa), and has worked as the lead vocalist for the band The Social Experiment. They released the widely lauded album Surf in May 2015.
Grammy Awards[change | change source]
In May 2016, Bennett released his third mixtape Coloring Book. It earned him three Grammy awards, including for Best Rap Album. Coloring Book was the first streaming-only album to ever receive and win a Grammy nomination.
Activism[change | change source]
On March 6, 2017, after a bad meeting with Governor Bruce Rauner only days before, Chance announced his plans to donate $1,000,000 to Chicago Public Schools  in order to help offset the lack of government funding provided.
Personal life[change | change source]
In July 2015, Chance announced that he was expecting his first child with his girlfriend Kirsten, whom he began to date in 2013. In September 2015, Kirsten gave birth to their daughter. Chance and Kirsten separated in 2016.
References[change | change source]
- Kyle Kramer (December 10, 2013). "Listen to Two Recently Unearthed Mixtapes of Early Chance the Rapper Material". Complex. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- Josephs, Brian (April 16, 2015). "Happy Birthday, Chance the Rapper!". The Boombox. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- Weiss, Jeff (May 7, 2013). "Chance The Rapper: Acid Rap". Chicago: Pitchfork Media. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- Bleakmax "Hear Chance The Rapper Join Brother Taylor Bennett on 'Broad Shoulders". Rolling Stone. Rollingstone.com. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- "Chance The Rapper". SX Schedule. Austin, Texas: SXSW. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- Chance The Rapper. Interview with Stephen Colbert. The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. October 26, 2015.
- "Chance The Rapper Talks Childish Gambino Cosign, Signing to CAA and New Mixtape". XXLMag.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- Alexis, Nadeska (May 14, 2013). "Chance The Rapper Remembers Talking White And Fighting Black On Acid Rap". MTV.com. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1707326/chance-the-rapper-acid-rap-mixtape.jhtml. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Chance The Rapper Makes History With Grammy Nomination". Forbes. December 17, 2016. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ogdenpayne/2016/12/06/chance-the-rapper-makes-history-with-59th-annual-grammy-nomination/#433aa69f5135.
- "Chance The Rapper Oyster Magazine Interview". Oyster Magazine. Brooklyn, New York: Genius Media Group. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- Stutz, Colin (July 23, 2015). "Chance The Rapper Announces He's Expecting a Baby". Billboard.com (Prometheus Global Media). http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6641837/chance-the-rapper-expecting-baby-girlfriend?mobile_redirection=false. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- "Chance The Rapper Welcomes His First Child, a Daughter". Fuse. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Chance The Rapper Talks Fatherhood, Black Lives Matter & a Secret Project with Stephen Colbert". Youtube.
- Stephens, Brittney. "It's Complicated: Get the Details on Chance the Rapper's Relationship Status". POPSUGAR Celebrity.
- Walsh, S.M. (13 February 2017). "Kristen Corley, Chance the Rapper's Girlfriend: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com.
- Dark, David, "I Speak To God In Public: Chance The Rapper's Faith"za, MTV, May 18, 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Chance the Rapper at Wikimedia Commons