Clubs of football world champions
Competitions[change | change source]
Official competitions[change | change source]
- The FIFA Club World Cup is a competition in the sport of Club football. The Fédération Internationale de Football Association FIFA organizes the World Cup every one year. The tournament officially assigns the world title. It is normally contested between the Champions of each continent, and the champion of the host country. As required by the regulations (integrated to the statute), a representative from FIFA present the winner of the World Cup with the FIFA Club World Cup trophy and with a FIFA World Champions certificate.
- The Intercontinental Cup (1960-2004) or European/South American Cup or Toyota Cup, was a football competition by UEFA and CONMEBOL. The competition was between the winners of the European UEFA Champions League and the South American Copa Libertadores; it was played by representatives clubs of most developed continents in the football world. The Cup was called the World Club Championship (de facto) until the first FIFA Club World Cup was held in 2000 (pilot edition). From 2005 the Intercontinental Cup was replaced by the FIFA Club World Cup. The FIFA Club World Cup also includes North American, Asian, African and Oceanian winners. In 2017 the Executive committee FIFA (that has the executive power given to him by the highest organ, the Congress) officially recognized all of them as club world champions with the same status to the FIFA Club World Cup winners or world champions de jure.
The football experts agree that the intercontinental cup is the most fascinating football competition ever existed thanks to the great balance in the field given by the lower economic gap of the time and rules on foreign players who gradually favored the European teams and weakened the South American teams; also the statistics (Report 2017) confirm this.
Winners[change | change source]
This list includes the clubs world champions for FIFA (only official competitions).
|Club||Federation||Trophies||Intercontinental Cup||Club World Cup|
|Real Madrid||Spain||7||3 (1960, 1998, 2002)||4 (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018)|
|A.C. Milan||Italy||4||3 (1969, 1989, 1990)||1 (2007)|
|Penarol||Uruguay||3||3 (1961, 1966, 1982)|
|Nacional Montevideo||Uruguay||3||3 (1971, 1980, 1988)|
|Boca Juniors||Argentina||3||3 (1977, 2000, 2003)|
|São Paulo||Brazil||3||2 (1992, 1993)||1 (2005)|
|Inter Milan||Italy||3||2 (1964, 1965)||1 (2010)|
|Bayern München||Germany||3||2 (1976, 2001)||1 (2013)|
|F.C. Barcelona||Spain||3||3 (2009, 2011, 2015)|
|Santos||Brazil||2||2 (1962, 1963)|
|Independiente||Argentina||2||2 (1973, 1984)|
|Ajax||Netherlands||2||2 (1972, 1995)|
|Juventus||Italy||2||2 (1985, 1996)|
|Porto||Portugal||2||2 (1987, 2004)|
|Manchester United||England||2||1 (1999)||1 (2008)|
|Corinthians||Brazil||2||2 (2000, 2012)|
|Racing Avellaneda||Argentina||1||1 (1967)|
|Atletico Madrid||Spain||1||1 (1974)|
|River Plate||Argentina||1||1 (1986)|
|Crvena zvezda||Yugoslavia||1||1 (1991)|
|Borussia Dortmund||Germany||1||1 (1997)|
Related pages[change | change source]
- Asian Football Confederation
- Confederation of African Football
- Oceania Football Confederation
References[change | change source]
- "FIFA Statute" (PDF). FIFA Statute (Zurich: Fédération Internationale de Football Association): pages 5, 17, 18, 19. May 2013. https://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/AFFederation/Generic/02/58/14/48/2015FIFAStatutesEN_Neutral.pdf.
- "FIFA Club World Championship TOYOTA Cup 2005" (PDF). FIFA Report 2005 (Zurich: Fédération Internationale de Football Association): pages 5, 19. December 2005. https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/technicaldevp/50/04/37/cwc_05_japan_tr_148.pdf.
- "FIFA Club World Cup 2017" (PDF). FIFA Report 2017 (Zurich: Fédération Internationale de Football Association): pages 15, 40, 41, 42. December 2017. http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/mencompcwc/02/67/91/87/statskit_fcwc2017_event_neutral.pdf.
- "FIFA Club World Cup 2017" (PDF). FIFA Regulation CWC 2017 page 37 (Zurich: Fédération Internationale de Football Association). December 2017. http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/91/82/38/fcwc2017uaeregulations_en_neutral.pdf.
- FIFA Council approves key organisational elements of the FIFA World Cup - Recognition of all European and South American teams that won the Intercontinental Cup – played between 1960 and 2004 – as club world champions./ www.fifa.com
- Tim Vickery (December 2017). "Balance that no longer exists; in today's globalised market the best players South Americans are representing the European champions teams". ESPN. http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-club-world-cup/0/blog/post/3311801/gremio-focused-on-outscoring-not-outplaying-real-madrid-in-club-world-cup-final.
- Giovanni Fiderio (09/01/2018) (in Italian). "La Coppa Intercontinentale, il trofeo più prestigioso". https://calcio-nostalgia-ita.site123.me/la-coppa-intercontinentale-il-trofeo-pi%C3%B9-prestigioso-1-1.