South America is attached to Central America at the boundary of Panama. Geographically all of Panama – including the part east of the Panama Canal in the isthmus – is usually included in North America alone, among the countries of Central America.
South America stretches from the Caribbean Sea almost to Antarctica. It borders the Atlantic on the east, and the Pacific Ocean on the west. South America can be divided into four parts. The Caribbean Republics include Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana. The Andean Republics include Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile and Peru. The River Plate Republics have Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina. Brazil, the largest, is almost half of South America.
Natural resources[change | change source]
The soil in Argentina's Pampas is among the best in the world. Brazil's soil is very good for growing coffee. A great number of minerals have been found. Few, however, have been mined. Among those that were mined are iron, manganese, gold, and gemstones. The tropical forests are rich in valuable trees, like mahogany, ebony, and rubber. Oil is also a resource in some places.
Wildlife[change | change source]
Tourist attractions[change | change source]
The most popular attractions are:
- Machu Picchu, a historic site in Peru
- The Iguazu Falls, a waterfall on the border between Argentina and Brazil
- The Angel Falls, the world's tallest waterfall, in Venezuela
- Rio de Janeiro and its carnival in Brazil
- The Patagonia region in Argentina and Chile
- The Christ Redeemer in Brazil
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "South America. The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed. 2001–6. New York, Columbia University Press": "fourth largest continent ..., the southern of the two continents of the Western Hemisphere." Archived from the original 2009-02-10. Retrieved 2017-03-24
- "Countries in Latin America & the Caribbean". lanic.utexas.edu. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- Koontz, Terri. World Studies. Greenville, South Carolina 29614: Bob Jones University Press. ISBN 1-59166-431-4. Unknown parameter
- Cohen, Saul Bernard. 2003. "North and Middle America" (Ch. 5). Geopolitics of the World System (ISBN 0847699072)
- "Americas" Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications (M49), United Nations Statistics Division
- "The Atlas of Canada - North America". atlas.nrcan.gc.ca. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- "Atlas - Xpeditions @ nationalgeographic.com". nationalgeographic.com. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- "Panama". Britannica Concise Encyclopedia
- Geography: Panama CIA World Factbook 2008.