|Republic of Suriname
Republiek Suriname (Dutch)
|Motto: Justitia - Pietas - Fides (Latin)
"Justice - Duty - Loyalty"
|Anthem: God zij met ons Suriname (Dutch)
('God be with our Suriname')
and largest city
|-||from Netherlands||25 November 1975|
|-||Total||163,821 km2 (91st)
63,251 sq mi
|-||2011 estimate||491,989 (167th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2009 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2009 estimate|
|HDI (2012)|| 0.716
high · 76th
|Currency||Surinamese dollar (SRD)|
|Time zone||ART (UTC-3)|
|-||Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC-3)|
|Drives on the||left|
Suriname, or Surinam, Dutch Guiana, Dutch Guyana or Sranang is a country in South America. The official name of the country is Republiek Suriname (this is Dutch and translates to Republic of Suriname). It used to be known as Nederlands Guyana, Netherlands Guiana or Dutch Guiana. It is between Guyana and French Guiana. Paramaribo is the capital city. About half a million people live in the country. Suriname became independent from the Netherlands in 1975. Before that, it was a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
The industry of the country is centered on the mining and processing of bauxite. This makes up 15 percent of the Gross Domestic Product and more than 70% of the exports. Other exports are sugar, oil and gold. About 25% of the working people are employed in agriculture. The main trade partners are the Netherlands, the United States and countries in the Caribbean.
Dutch, French, Spanish and English explorers discovered the area in the early 16th century. A century later, sugar plantation colonies were established by the Dutch and English along the many rivers in the fertile Guyana plains. After the second Anglo-Dutch War England traded any claims to the territory for New Amsterdam which became New York.
Related pages[change | change source]
- List of rivers of Suriname
- List of Surinamese people
- Suriname at the Olympics
- Suriname national football team
References[change | change source]
- Central Intelligence Agency (2009). "Suriname". The World Factbook. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ns.html. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Algemeen Bureau voor de Statistiek in Suriname - Census profile at district level
- "Suriname". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2007&ey=2010&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=366&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr1.x=38&pr1.y=10. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Human Development Report 2010". United Nations. 2010. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2010.