Real Madrid C.F.
|Full name||Real Madrid Club de Fútbol|
|Ground||Santiago Bernabéu Stadium|
|2020/21||La Liga, 3rd|
Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, sometimes known as just Real Madrid, is a Spanish football club from Madrid, Spain. It was started in 1902 and competes in La Liga (the Spanish top league). The "Real" in the club's name is Spanish for "royal", because it was blessed by the King of Spain in 1920.
Real Madrid has won La Liga 33 times and the Copa del Rey (King's Cup) 19 times, the most out of any team in the league. It has also won the UEFA Champions League a record 13 times and the UEFA Cup twice.
Real Madrid was recognised as the FIFA Club of the 20th Century on 11 December 2000, and received the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit on 20 May 2004. In June 2017, the team succeeded in becoming the first club to win the Champions League twice in a row.
Since it began, Real Madrid has since spent all of its history in La Liga, and has never been relegated down to a lower level. This shows how strong they have been just to stay in the top flight of Spanish football. In the 1940s, the club, the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium and the Ciudad Deportiva were rebuilt after the Spanish Civil War. The club became a major force in both Spanish and European football during the 1950s. In the 1980s, the club had one of the best teams in Spain and Europe (known as La Quinta del Buitre). They had won two UEFA Cups, five Spanish championships in a row, one Spanish cup and three Spanish Super Cups.
The club has bought and had many famous footballers, including Ronaldo, David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane, Michael Owen, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaká and other very famous footballers. The most expensive player is Gareth Bale who was bought for 85.3 million pounds from Tottenham Hotspur of the English Premier League.
The club's traditional home colours are all white. Its Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid, where it has played since 1947. Unlike most European football clubs, Real Madrid's members (socios) have owned and operated the club since it was opened. Real is the world's most valuable club.Real madrid have won 6 La Liga titles.has been changed several times in attempts to modernise or re-brand. The current crest is a modified version of the one first adopted in the 1920s. Real's home is the 81,044 capacity
Rivalries[change | change source]
El Clásico[change | change source]
Madrid Derby[change | change source]
The club's nearest neighboring club is Atlético Madrid, a rivalry shared between fans of both teams.
Champions league[change | change source]
Current squad[change | change source]
Current squad[change | change source]
- As of 2 October 2020
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Honours won by Real Madrid[change | change source]
- S shared record
League position[change | change source]
Former position[change | change source]
Reserve Team[change | change source]
Main Article: Real Madrid Castilla
Most expensive players[change | change source]
|Transfer Fee (€ millions)||Date||Ref|
|1||Eden Hazard||Chelsea||£89||€100||June 2019|||
|Gareth Bale||Tottenham Hotspur||£86||€100||September 2013|||
|3||Cristiano Ronaldo||Manchester United||£80||€96||June 2009|||
|4||Zinedine Zidane||Juventus||£46.6||€76||July 2001|||
|5||James Rodríguez||Monaco||£63||€75||July 2014|||
|7||Luís Figo||Barcelona||£37||€62||July 2000|||
|8||Luka Jović||Eintracht Frankfurt||£52.4||€60||June 2019|||
|9||Éder Militão||Porto||£43||€50||July 2019|||
|10||Ferland Mendy||Lyon||£42.7||€48||June 2019|||
References[change | change source]
- "#2 Real Madrid - Forbes.com". www.forbes.com.
- https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/26/football/champions-league-real-madrid-liverpool-football-kiev-spt/index.html. Real Madrid beats Liverpool 3-1 to win Champions League - CNN
- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/26/real-madrid-liverpool-champions-league-final-match-report. Real Madrid win Champions League as brilliant Bale sinks Liverpool | Football | The Guardian
- "Squad". Realmadrid.com. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- "Football honours". Realmadrid.com. Madrid, Spain: Real Madrid Club de Fútbol. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Copa del Rey – Palmarés". MARCA.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Carnicero, José; Torre, Raúl; Ferrer, Carles Lozano (25 August 2016). "Spain – List of Super Cup Finals". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation (RSSSF). Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "From Fairs Cup via UEFA Cup to UEFA Europa League". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations (UEFA). Retrieved 11 May 2017.
The UEFA Europa League evolved from the UEFA Cup, which itself was conceived by Switzerland's Ernst Thommen, along with Italy's Ottorino Barrasi and England's Sir Stanley Rous.
- Magnani, Loris; Stokkermans, Karel (30 April 2005). "Intercontinental Club Cup". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "History of the world transfer record". BBC Sport. 11 June 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "World's Highest Transfer Fees". Web.archive.org. 25 August 2007. Archived from the original on 25 August 2007. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "THE GUARDIAN – Hazard completes £88.5m Real move". theguardian.com.
- "Gareth Bale joins Real Madrid from Spurs in £85m world record deal". BBC Sport.
- "Ronaldo completes £80m Real move". news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Zidane makes record Real switch". BBC Sport. 9 July 2001. Retrieved 6 September 2008.
- "James Rodriguez: Real Madrid sign Monaco forward". BBC Sport. 22 July 2014 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Kaka completes Real Madrid switch". BBC Sport. 9 June 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Figo's the Real deal". BBC Sport. 24 July 2000. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Ostlere, Lawrence (4 June 2019). "Real Madrid confirm Luka Jovic transfer from Frankfurt on six-year contact for fee exceeding £50m". The Independent. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- "Official: Real Madrid sign Militao". Marca. July 2019.
- "Ferland Mendy Signs 6-Year Real Madrid Contract, Completes Transfer from Lyon". Bleacher Report.