Eau Claire County
|Largest city||Eau Claire|
|• Total||645 sq mi (1,670 km2)|
|• Land||638 sq mi (1,650 km2)|
|• Water||7.3 sq mi (19 km2) 1.1%%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||159/sq mi (61/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
History[change | change source]
|WI Counties 1900-1990|
Eau Claire county began as the Town of Clearwater in Chippewa County in 1855. The name was changed to the Town of Eau Claire on March 31, 1856. The town was made into Eau Claire County by the Wisconsin State Legislature on October 6, 1856.
Geography[change | change source]
The county has a total area of 645 square miles (1,670.5 km2). Of this, 638 square miles (1,652.4 km2) is land and 8 square miles (20.7 km2) (1.18%) is water.
Government[change | change source]
The legislative body of Eau Claire County is the 29-member Eau Claire County Board of Supervisors. Members of the board of supervisors are elected by district. The chairperson and vice-chair positions are elected from members of the board.
Eau Claire County contains parts of the Wisconsin State Senate districts 23 and 31. It also contains parts of Wisconsin State Assembly districts 68, 92, and 93. At the federal level, the entire county is in Wisconsin's third congressional district.
Cities, villages, and towns[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
Villages[change | change source]
|* indicates a municipality considered part of the Eau Claire-Chippewa Falls metropolitan area.|
Unincorporated communities[change | change source]
‡ Historical community
§ Now part of the City of Eau Claire
References[change | change source]
- Taken from Wisconsin Blue Book 1991-1992 p. 731; cited there as from "Wisconsin Historical Records, Origin and Legislative History of County Boundariesio in Wisconsin, 1942."
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "American FactFinder - Community Facts". factfinder.census.gov. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Dictionary of Wisconsin History Archived 2012-06-12 at the Wayback Machine accessed 1 January 2007.
- When Counties Originated Archived 2007-08-18 at the Wayback Machine from rootsweb.com's Oconto County, Wisconsin webpage Archived 2007-03-29 at the Wayback Machine
- "Find a County". Archived from the original on 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2021-01-18.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Eau Claire County official website
- History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
- History of Eau Claire County
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Special Collections and Archives Archived 2014-08-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Chippewa Valley Museum