Eugene Andrew "Gene" Cernan (//; March 14, 1934 – January 16, 2017), (CAPT, USN, Ret.), was an American naval officer and Naval Aviator, electrical engineer, aeronautical engineer, fighter pilot, and NASA astronaut.
On Apollo 17, Cernan became the eleventh person to walk on the Moon and the most recent man to walk on the Moon since he was the last to re-enter the Lunar Module Challenger after the mission's third and final mission. Cernan was also a backup crew member for the Gemini 12, Apollo 7 and Apollo 14 space missions.
References[change | change source]
- "Remembering Gene Cernan". NASA. 16 January 2017. Archived from the original on 16 January 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- Graczyk, Michael; Borenstein, Seth. "Gene Cernan, Last Astronaut to Walk on the Moon, Dies at 82". Retrieved 16 January 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Last Man on the Moon
- Gene Cernan flies the Windows-based "Eagle Lander 3D" Simulator
- Eugene Cernan at the Internet Movie Database
- Spacefacts biography of Eugene Cernan
- Cernan at Encyclopedia of Science
- Cernan at Spaceacts
- Cernan at International Space Hall of Fame Archived 2017-01-18 at the Wayback Machine