|SpongeBob SquarePants episode|
|Episode no.||Season 9|
|Directed by||Tom Yasumi (animation)|
Luke Brookshier (storyboard)
Marc Ceccarelli (storyboard)
Alan Smart (supervising)
|Written by||Luke Brookshier|
|Original air date||July 21, 2012|
|Johnny Knoxville as Johnny Krill|
"Extreme Spots" is the first part of the 9th season of SpongeBob SquarePants. It was first shown on television on July 21, 2012. In the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick try to join an extreme sports team. The episode guest stars Johnny Knoxville as Johnny Krill.
The episode was a part of a television marathon called "The Super Spongy Square Games". The marathon was watched by 3.7 million people. This made the marathon the most watched kids program for the week it was shown. The episode was released on a DVD named Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay on January 15, 2013.
Story[change | change source]
SpongeBob and Patrick are playing in sand and see an extreme sports team named The Drasticles (short for The Drastic Radicals). The members of The Drasticles are two fish named Grand Maul Granny and Not Dead Ted and a krill named Johnny Krill. A British fish tells SpongeBob and Patrick that they are part of an extreme sports team. Patrick thinks that the fish said "extreme spots" because of the fish's lisp, so he stings himself with a jellyfish to get "extreme spots". Johnny Krill tells SpongeBob to get on a motorbike to see if SpongeBob can play extreme sports. Patrick sandboards down a mountain with Grand Maul Granny. Both SpongeBob and Patrick are not able to keep up with the sports and are told that the sports are too extreme for them.
SpongeBob and Patrick try jump roping. The Drasticals show "extreme" jump rope by having Not Dead Ted being put on fire and having him jump to an airplane. SpongeBob tries blowing a bubble next. The Drasticals make Johnny Krill ride a motorcycle inside a bubble, which hits a building. SpongeBob tries to do boxing with a pillow and loses. Johnny puts the pillow in a washing machine and gets attacked by a mattress. Patrick shows himself dumpster diving. Grand Maul Granny shows "extreme" dumpster diving by having herself compacted with the waste. SpongeBob and Patrick tell The Drasticals that they like to catch jellyfish. The Drasticals try catching jellyfish and get injured and covered in spots. The British fish comes back and says that extreme spots come from extreme sports.
Reception[change | change source]
Paul Mavis of DVD Talk said that the episode "gets big laughs from some very funny bits" but called the "stereotypical" British fish "a scream." Joe Corey of Inside Pulse calls the episode "equally dangerous" as the rest of the episodes in the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay DVD.
References[change | change source]
- "Nickelodeon Debuts 4 New Episodes of SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS in 'The Super Spongy Square Games', 7/21". Broadway World. July 2, 2012. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Zahed, Ramin (July 2, 2012). "Nick Plans Special 'SpongeBob' Marathon in July". Animation. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Raymundo, Neil (July 3, 2012). "Spongebob Squarepants Marathon Planned for July". Toon Barn. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon's Debut of SpongeBob SquarePants "The Super Spongy Square Games" Ranks as Most Watched Kids Program With 3.7 Million Total Viewers for the Week". The Futon Critic. July 24, 2012. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Lambert, David (October 15, 2012). "SpongeBob SquarePants - Street Date Announced for an 'Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay' DVD". TVSowsOnDVD.com. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Mavis, Paul (January 14, 2013). "SpongeBob SquarePants: Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay". DVD Talk. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Corey, Joe (February 9, 2013). "DVD Review: SpongeBob SquarePants: Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay". Inside Pulse. Retrieved July 14, 2013.