||This article needs more sources for reliability. (October 2013)|
Dee Bradley Baker
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||204 (half-hours)
334 (episodes aired so far, 8 unaired) (List of episodes)
|Original channel||Nicktoons Network
|First shown in||United States|
|Original run||May 1, 1999 – present |
SpongeBob SquarePants is an American animated Nickelodeon TV show made by Stephen Hillenburg (who also worked on Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life) that started on May 1, 1999. The main character on the show is a sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea, as the theme song states. He is a fry cook who works at a restaurant called the Krusty Krab, which is run by a crab whose name is Eugene H. Krabs.
The show features the voice of Tom Kenny as SpongeBob, the sponge in the underwater town of Bikini Bottom. Even though SpongeBob is a sea sponge, he looks more like a kitchen sponge used for cleaning dishes. His best friend is a starfish named Patrick Star. His grumpy neighbor is an octopus named Squidward Tentacles. SpongeBob and Squidward work at the Krusty Krab, a fast food restaurant that makes Krabby Patties. The recipe for the Krabby Patty is top-secret. Mr. Krabs's enemy, Sheldon Plankton, often tries to steal the recipe.
As of March 17, 2013, the series had aired 185 episodes. Episodes were recorded from December 2011 to January 2013.
A theatrical movie premiered on November 19, 2004, which marked the end of the third season. Season 9 was announced by Nickelodeon on January 3,2011.Filming of the ninth Season began in December 2011.The movie was supposed to be a final for the show but later on the show got revived.
SpongeBob SquarePants is one of Nickelodeon's most popular shows, like Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life and Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has been nominated for Emmies, been made into many video games and a movie, and has official recognition as Nickelodeon's most popular show of all time since 2000, when the second season began. The show has had 2 films and is the 2nd TV show on Nickelodeon to have 2 films.The first show was Rugrats.
In May 2005, when the fourth season debuted, people have been criticizing the season and insulting Paul Tibbit ever since. But the quality and animation got much better starting with Season 8, which started 6 years later.The shows creator who is Stephen Hillenburg returned to write the 2nd film, and will return to the show after the movie .
Characters[change | change source]
Episodes list[change | change source]
Season 1 (1999-2000)[change | change source]
|No. in series||Episode title #1||Episode title #2||Episode title #3||Airdate||Prod. Code|
|1||"Help Wanted"||"Reef Blower"||"Tea at the Treedome"||May 01, 1999||101|
|2||"Bubblestand"||"Ripped Pants"||N/A||July 17, 1999||102|
|3||"Jellyfishing"||"Plankton!"||N/A||July 31, 1999||103|
|4||"Naughty Nautical Neighbors"||"Boating School"||N/A||August 07, 1999||104|
|5||"Pizza Delivery"||"Home Sweet Pineapple"||N/A||August 14, 1999||105|
|6||"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy"||"Pickles"||N/A||August 21, 1999||106|
|7||"Hall Monitor"||"Jellyfish Jam"||N/A||August 28, 1999||107|
|8||"Sandy's Rocket"||"Squeaky Boots"||N/A||September 04, 1999||108|
|9||"Nature Pants"||"Opposite Day"||N/A||September 11, 1999||109|
|10||"Culture Shock"||"F. U. N."||N/A||September 18, 1999||110|
|11||"MuscleBob BuffPants"||"Squidward the unfriendly ghost"||N/A||September 25, 1999||111|
|12||"The Chaperone"||"Employee of the month"||N/A||October 02, 1999||112|
|13||"Scary Pants"||"I was a teenage Gary"||N/A||October 28, 1999||113|
|14||"SB-129"||"Karate Choppers"||N/A||December 31, 1999||114|
|15||"Sleepy Time"||"Suds"||N/A||January 17, 2000||115|
|16||"Valentine's Day"||"The Paper"||N/A||February 14, 2000||116|
|17||"Arrgh!"||"Rock Bottom"||N/A||March 15, 2000||117|
|18||"Texas"||"Walking Small"||N/A||March 22, 2000||118|
|19||"Fools in April"||"Neptune's Spatula"||N/A||April 01, 2000||119|
|20||"Hooky"||"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II"||N/A||April 08, 2000||120|
Main places[change | change source]
- The show takes place in a city called Bikini Bottom. Bikini Bottom is in the Pacific Ocean. There are many places in the city like Rock Bottom and the Sea Needle (a bit like the Space Needle in Seattle).
- SpongeBob's Pineapple is SpongeBob's home. It has many big rooms even though on the outside it looks just like a small pineapple. It even has a huge library with many books.
- The Krusty Krab is a restaurant in the city of Bikini Bottom. It is run by a crab, Eugene H. Krabs. Two workers at the restaurant are SpongeBob SquarePants (fry cook), and Squidward.Q.Tentacles (cashier). The fast food items that are sold include the popular Krabby Patty (which is similar to a hamburger), french fries, and drinks.
- The Chum Bucket is a restaurant that is across the street from the Krusty Krab. It is owned by Sheldon J. Plankton, but people don't usually go there. The only customers who went to the Chum Bucket were the ones who did not like the Krusty Krab service. One fish even said "This is the worst service ever. I'm going to the Chum Bucket." (because SpongeBob thinks he's a movie star, and he stops cooking patties). Plankton is always trying to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula, which only Mr. Krabs and Spongebob know. Plankton also has a computer wife named Karen.
- Goo Lagoon is a popular beach. Even though the beach is under water, the water in the beach is called "goo". In some episodes it is just a lake but in some it is an entire ocean.
- Patrick's boulder is Patrick's home where Patrick lives and sleeps in. In some episodes, Patrick falls out of his boulder.
- Mr Krabs and Pearl's anchor, a home that Mr. Krabs lives in with his lovely daughter Pearl.
- Squidward's house, A house that Squidward can relax on a grumpy day. Some episodes have Squidward leaning out the window to tell Spongebob and Patrick, "Will you two be quiet. I'm trying to practise my clarinet or sleep or paint."
- Mrs. Puff's Boating School is the driving school where Spongebob often goes to try to get his license. Spongebob normally is not good at driving and can never really get his license without help from a friend. Whenever he gets his license, he soon after looses it.
References[change | change source]
- "TV Guide magazine's 60 greatest cartoons of all time". FOX News. 24 September 2013. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/09/24/greatest-cartoons-all-time-tv-guide-list/.
- Brent Jones, ed. (14 July 2009). "SquarePants: Bobbing along for 10 years". Gannett Co. Inc.. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-07-14-spongebob-timeline_N.htm.