List of SpongeBob SquarePants characters
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Below is a list of characters from the television show SpongeBob SquarePants.
Main characters[change | change source]
- SpongeBob SquarePants is a yellow sea sponge and the main character of the show. His house is made from a pineapple. He works as a fry cook at a fast food restaurant called the Krusty Krab. He is talented at making burgers called Krabby Patties. He is voiced by Tom Kenny.
- Patrick Star is a pink starfish who is SpongeBob's best friend. He lives under a rock and is not very smart. He likes to have fun and be silly, but sometimes gets himself and SpongeBob in trouble. He usually does not have a job. He is voiced by Bill Fagerbakke.
- Squidward Tentacles is an octopus and SpongeBob's next-door neighbor. He plays the clarinet and is not good at it, even though he thinks so. He works at the Krusty Krab as the cashier. He says he hates SpongeBob, but SpongeBob thinks they are friends. Squidward is not friendly and thinks that he is better than almost everyone. He is voiced by Rodger Bumpass.
- Mr. Krabs is a crab who is the owner of the Krusty Krab restaurant, and SpongeBob and Squidward's boss. He is a single father with one daughter, a whale named Pearl. He and Pearl live in a big anchor. He is very greedy and loves money. He never wants to spend a lot of his money, and sometimes cheats to make more of it. He is voiced by Clancy Brown.
- Sheldon J. Plankton is an evil green plankton. He is an evil genius and Mr. Krabs' rival. His goal is to steal the secret recipe for Krabby Patties. He runs a restaurant called the Chum Bucket with the help of his talking computer wife named Karen. The Chum Bucket is very unpopular and they never get customers. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence.
- Karen Plankton is a talking computer who is Plankton's helper, sidekick, and wife. She gives him his evil plans to steal the Krabby Patty recipe. She lives in the laboratory of the Chum Bucket which is labeled from the outside as the "kitchen." Karen does not have a face, but her screen shows a wavy green line that moves when she talks. She is voiced by Jill Talley.
- Sandy Cheeks is a squirrel from the state of Texas. She lives in a glass house called a Treedome that lets her breathe under water. When she is out of the dome, she wears a space suit and a fishbowl-like glass helmet around her head filled with fresh air. She is very athletic and works as a scientist. She is voiced by Carolyn Lawrence.
- Mrs. Puff is a pufferfish who is SpongeBob's teacher at the underwater driving school, Mrs. Puff's Boating School. She is old, patient, and easily scared. She wears a blue sailor hat and a yellow wig. SpongeBob really wants to pass Mrs. Puff's class, but he always fails his driving test. She is voiced by Mary Jo Catlett.
- Pearl Krabs is a big gray whale with blonde hair who is the daughter of Mr. Krabs. She is sixteen years old and has a job at the Bikini Bottom Mall. When she grows up, Mr. Krabs will give his restaurant and his money to her. She usually wears a pink cheerleading dress. She is voiced by Lori Alan.
- Gary the Snail is SpongeBob's pet snail who lives with him in their pineapple house. He meows and acts like a cat. He cannot talk, but SpongeBob can understand him. Gary is usually shown to be very smart. He is voiced by Tom Kenny.
Recurring characters[change | change source]
- Patchy is a pirate who hosts special episodes of the show. He thinks SpongeBob is a real person and not a cartoon character. He dreams to meet SpongeBob one day and collects lots of SpongeBob toys. He is played by SpongeBob's voice actor Tom Kenny.
- Potty is Patchy's pet parrot, who is shown as a poorly-made puppet on strings. Potty is annoying and sometimes mean to Patchy, but is loyal and always stays by Patchy's side. Potty was voiced by Stephen Hillenburg from 2000 to 2004, by Paul Tibbitt from 2005 to 2012, and by Mr. Lawrence since 2017.
- The French Narrator is the show's narrator. He is a scuba diver with a French accent who talks to the viewers at the beginnings and endings of many episodes. He also narrates the time cards. He is voiced by Tom Kenny doing an impression of the filmmaker Jacques Cousteau.
- Mermaid Man is an elderly superhero dressed as a mermaid to protect the Bikini Bottom. He also has a bad memory. He was voiced by Ernest Borgnine.
- Barnacle Boy is Mermaid Man's sidekick. He is dressed in navy clothing. He is tired of people calling him "boy" because he is a senior citizen. He was voiced by Tim Conway.
- The Flying Dutchman is a green ghost who owns a pirate ship and haunts the ocean. He can get irritated easily and likes to scare people. He lives in a cave that contains Davy Jones' locker. He is voiced by Brian Doyle-Murray.
- King Neptune is a merman god who rules the ocean. His name is said by the characters in place of God's in exclamations. He carries a trident and lives in the underwater city of Atlantis. He is voiced by John O'Hurley in the TV episodes and by Jeffrey Tambor in the first movie.
- Johnny Elaine is a trout who works as a news reporter and announcer. He looks like a realistic cutout of a fish head. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence.
- Perch Perkins is a famous news anchor. He is usually seen with a microphone, a headset, and a camera crew. He is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Larry the Lobster is a strong lobster who works at a beach called Goo Lagoon. He is a lifeguard. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence.
- Harold and Margaret SquarePants are SpongeBob's parents, who live out of town. They are voiced by Tom Kenny and Sirena Irwin.
- Grandma SquarePants is SpongeBob's grandmother. She treats him like a young child and likes to bake cookies. She is voiced by Marion Ross.
- Squilliam Fancyson is Squidward's rival from high school band class. He is a rich octopus with a unibrow. He is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Betsy Krabs is Mr. Krabs' mother and Pearl's grandmother. She lives in a pink anchor. She was voiced by Paul Tibbitt in her first two appearances and later by Sirena Irwin.
- Jellyfish are characters that are mostly seen at their natural habitat, a grassy meadow called Jellyfish Fields. They are usually pink and sting people.
Minor characters[change | change source]
- Bubble Bass is a fat bass fish with glasses who was SpongeBob's enemy in the first season. He later returned as a background character in season eight.
- Fred is a fish who is usually brown or blue. He is known for shouting "MY LEG!" whenever there is destruction. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence.
- Harold is a blue fish with a shark-like back fin and spiky teeth. He most often wears a red speedo and a white shirt. He has a tendency to start arguments or trouble.
- Scooter is a purple fish who likes to surf at Goo Lagoon. He usually wears swim trunks. He is voiced by Carlos Alazraqui.
- Tom is a brown-green fish who has a short temper and yells a lot. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence.
- Nat Peterson is a yellow fish with a purple back fin. He had a major role in "Plankton's Regular" where Karen paid him to become the Chum Bucket's first regular customer.
- Old Man Jenkins is a senior citizen with poor eyesight and a bad memory. He thinks SpongeBob is a talking cereal box.
- Painty is the painting of a pirate who sings the opening theme song. He is voiced by Patrick Pinney.