|Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout|
|Release||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4|
Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
|Genre(s)||Battle royale, platform|
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is a battle royale game, developed by Mediatonic and published by Devolver Digital. The gameplay for Fall Guys was inspired by the 1980s gameshow Takeshi's Castle. In Fall Guys, up to 60 players in a match compete to win each round. Players must survive each round by completing the goals of each round. The winner of the match is the last player standing. The game had experienced a rise in popularity in the summer of 2020 because it was given attention by Twitch streamers and PewDiePie.
Mini-games[change | change source]
In Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout, the main gameplay comes from playing a series of mini-games in the game. Most mini-games are categorised into four major categories: races, survival, hunting, and logic. The only exception is for "finals", which are basically variations of some of the main mini-games. Most mini-games feature obstacles that block the progress of other players. Certain mini-games include elements of teamwork.
Races[change | change source]
The goal is to race to the finish line. Only around two-thirds of the participants can qualify. When the last qualifiable player passes the finish line, all remaining players are eliminated.
These are the current races as of December 2020:
- Dizzy Heights - Players must navigate spinning platforms and falling balls.
- The Whirlygig - Players must avoid spinning beams and propellers.
- See Saw - Players must navigate weight-sensitive see saws. This mode involves competitors working together to advance in the race.
- Tip Toe - Players must find a hidden path on square tiles that disintegrate.
- Gate Crash - Players must navigate through rising and falling gates.
- Fruit Chute - Players must navigate a large conveyor belt with large fruit being thrown at them.
- Door Dash - Players must crash through a series of doors. Some of the doors are false, causing any player that attempts to break them to stumble. Each row of doors is shorter than the previous row, and with fewer real doors.
- Slime Climb - An obstacle course players must ascend whilst outrunning the rising slime. Falling into the slime will cause instant elimination. Throughout the course, players must avoid spinning hammers, sliding blocks and wrecking balls.
- Hit Parade - Players must avoid a series of wrecking balls to reach the finish line.
Survival[change | change source]
In these rounds, players must stay alive until the timer runs out, or all activities have been completed:
- Roll Out - Players must stay on top of a revolving platform. The platform is divided into different segments, each with its own obstacles and spin direction. When enough players have fallen into the slime and been eliminated, the rest will qualify and proceed to the next round.
- Jump Club - Players stand on a round platform. A mechanism at the centre of the platform has spinning arms. As the arms rotate and sweep along the platform, players must jump over them to avoid being knocked into the slime and being eliminated.
- Block Party - Players stand on a large platform. Blocks of differing shapes and sizes sweep the platform. Players must avoid the blocks to save getting knocked into the slime and being eliminated.
- Perfect Match - Players must memorize which fruit corresponds with a tile. After the countdown, players must stand on a tile that holds the fruit displayed on the screen. All other tiles will disappear, causing all players standing on them to fall into the slime and be eliminated.
- Tail Tag - Some players start the match with a tail. The goal is to end the match in possession of a tail. Players without a tail can grab and steal tails, those already with them must run and avoid other players. When the timer ends, all players without a tail are eliminated.
Team matches[change | change source]
Players are divided equally (where possible) into teams. Each game has a certain, unchanging number of teams. All games with two teams will be Blue and Yellow. Games with a third team will introduce Red. Games with a fourth team will introduce Green:
- Team Tail Tag - This round is identical to the solo Tail Tag, however players are divided into 4 teams. The team with the least number of tails at the end is eliminated.
- Egg Scramble - This game consists of 3 teams. Each team has a nest, and at the centre of the arena is a pile of eggs. Teams must collect eggs and place them in their nest. Golden eggs are worth more points that standard eggs. At the end of the match, when the timer runs out, the team with the least number of eggs is eliminated.
- Hoopsey Daisy - This is a game consisting of 3 teams. White hoops appear around the arena, and players must jump or dive through them to earn points for their team. Gold hoops appear occasionally offering more points. At the end of the match, when the timer runs out, the team with the least points is eliminated.
- Jinx - This is a game consisting of 2 teams. At the start of the match, one player from each team is randomly selected to be "jinxed", which appears as purple smoke surrounding the player. Jinxed players can grab competitors to jinx them. When an entire team has been jinxed, they will be eliminated.
- Fall Ball - This is a game consisting of 2 teams. The match is set up like a soccer match, and players need to dive and jump to hit the two giant balls into the opposing team's goal. When the team scores a goal, the ball respawns in the centre of the pitch. At the end of the round, when the timer runs out, the team with the lowest score is eliminated.
- Rock 'N' Roll - This is a game consisting of 3 teams. Teams must work together to push their giant ball down the obstacle course towards the goal. When two teams have successfully reached the goal, the remaining team will fail and be eliminated.
- Hoarders - This is a game consisting of 3 teams. The arena is divided into 3 areas, each corresponding to a team's colour. 7 giant balls spawn in the arena. Players must push the balls into their team's area and stop them from being stolen by opposing teams. The team with the lowest number of balls when the timer runs out is eliminated.
Final rounds[change | change source]
When enough players have been eliminated and only a few remain, the final round will be played. Whoever wins these games will be crowned the overall winner of the show.
- Fall Mountain - The remaining players must scale Fall Mountain, an obstacle course filled with falling balls and spinning hammers, to reach the top. The first player to jump and grab the crown, which is constantly moving up and down, will win the game.
- Hex-A-Gone - This is a final round. The match consists of multiple decks of hexagon tiles. Standing on a tile will cause it to disappear after a small delay. The player will then fall to the deck below, or more if the tiles have already been destroyed. The goal is to be the last man standing, as a pool of slime sits at the bottom of the arena. When all other players have fallen into the slime, the last remaining player will be crowned the winner.
- Royal Fumble - This is a final round in the same vein as Tail Tag. One player starts with a tail that others must grab from them. At the end of the round, when the timer runs out, whoever is left with the tail will be crowned the winner.
- Jump Showdown - This is a final round in the same vein as Jump Club. Same in Jump Club, but lower spinner arms has double bar, and 1 of 8 platforms will randomly fall into the slime until only 1 platform is left. When all other players have been knocked and fallen into the slime, the last player will be crowned a winner.
Seasons[change | change source]
|Season 1||8 August 2020 – 7 October 2020||N/A||The original season.|
|Season 2||8 October 2020 - 14 December 2020||Medieval Knockout||Medieval-themed, with added maps and cosmetics with the same theme. Other cosmetics have been added along the way too, including the added feature to change nicknames and banners.|
|Season 3||15 December 2020 – 21 March 2021||Winter Knockout||Winter-themed.|
|Season 4||22 March 2021 – TBA||Fall Guys 4041||Future-themed, This season will be set in the future but have a 1980s retro style to it.|
References[change | change source]
- Bald, Cameron. "Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is making its way to mobile in China". www.pocketgamer.com. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- Lyons, Kim (22 August 2020). "A mobile version of Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is in the works, but only in China". The Verge. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- Cardy, Simon (August 7, 2020). "Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Review". IGN. Retrieved August 8, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Barbosa, Alessandro (August 7, 2020). "Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Review - Jelly Bean Gladiators". GameSpot. Retrieved August 9, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Franzese, Tomas. "Here's when to expect 'Fall Guys' on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch". Inverse. Retrieved 2020-08-13.
- Parkin, Jeffrey (5 August 2020). "Fall Guys guide: Tips and strategies for every game type". Polygon.
- C. Sottek, T. "Fall Guys is the feel-good game of the summer". The Verge. Retrieved 2020-08-09.
- "Fall Guys tips: How to beat all 24 rounds and win the Episode crown". GamesRadar+. Retrieved 2020-08-14.
- "Fall Guys Season 2 – when is it coming? – TheSixthAxis".
- Thier, Dave. "When Does Fall Guys Season 2 Start? Here's What's Coming". Forbes.
- "Season 2: Medieval Knockout - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout". Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- Wilson, Iain (8 October 2020). "The biggest Fall Guys Season 2 changes as we travel back to medieval times". gamesradar.com. Retrieved 27 October 2020.
- Livingston, Christopher (8 October 2020). "Fall Guys Season 2—everything you need to know about the medieval season". pcgamer.com. Retrieved 27 October 2020.
- Hetfeld, Malindy. "Fall Guys teases its new, bigger winter season". PC Gamer. Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- Garst, Aron. "Here's A Sneak Peak At Fall Guys Season 3". Gamespot. Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- Fall Guys 4041 🤖 SOON [@FallGuysGame] (23 February 2021). "For Season 4, we're traveling to the future... 🤖 FALL GUYS 4041 🤖 Giveaway to celebrate: - Follow us and retweet this tweet - Finish this sentence in your own words as a reply: #FallGuysSeason4 is 20 winners will get 20 crowns each! 👀 t.co/USrruU7LtT" (Tweet). Archived from the original on 25 February 2021. Retrieved 3 March 2021 – via Twitter.