Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor
Francis I (Francis Stephen; 8 December 1708 – 18 August 1765) was the consort of Maria Theresa of Austria. With his wife, he was the founder of the Habsburg-Lorraine dynasty. From 1728 until 1737 he was Duke of Lorraine, but lost Lorraine when he had to give it to France. He was the father of Marie Antoinette, the Queen of France.
Biography[change | change source]
He married Maria Theresa of Austria for love. with the input of the Prince of Craon. They had sixteen children who are named here:
- Archduchess Maria Elisabeth (1737-1740).
- Archduchess Maria Anna (1738-1789).
- Archduchess Maria Caroline (1740-1741).
- Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II (1741-1790)
- Archduchess Maria Christina, Duchess of Teschen (1742-1798)
- Archduchess Maria Elisabeth (1743-1808).
- Archduke Charles Joseph (1745-1761).
- Archduchess Maria Amalia (1746-1804)
- Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II (1747-1792)
- Archduchess Maria Caroline (stillborn 1748).
- Archduchess Maria Johanna Gabriela (1750-1762).
- Archduchess Maria Josepha (1751-1767).
- Queen Maria Carolina of Naples and Sicily (1752-1814)
- Queen Marie Antoinette of France and Navarre, born Maria Antonia (1755-1793)
- Archduke Maximilian Francis (1756-1801)
Titles and styles[change | change source]
- 8 December 1708 - 4 June 1723: His Highness Prince Francis Stephan of Lorraine
- 4 June 1723 - 27 March 1729: His Highness The Hereditary Prince of Lorraine
- 27 March 1729 - 12 July 1737: His Royal Highness The Duke of Lorraine
- 12 July 1737 - 20 January 1745: His Royal Highness The Grand Duke of Tuscany
- 20 January 1745 - 18 August 1765: His Imperial Majesty The Holy Roman Emperor