James Norris Memorial Trophy
|James Norris Memorial Trophy|
|Established||1953–54 NHL season|
|Current holder(s)||Duncan Keith|
|Awarded to the||top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position" in the National Hockey League|
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is given out to the National Hockey League's best "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position". The James Norris Memorial Trophy has been awarded 53 times to 22 different players since it was first created in 1954. At the end of each season, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to decide the player who was the best defenseman during the regular season.
History[change | change source]
Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins won the award for a record eight seasons in a row (1968–75). Doug Harvey won the award seven times, while Nicklas Lidstrom has won it six times in his career and Ray Bourque won it five times during his career. The Boston Bruins have won the most Norris Trophies with 14. The Montreal Canadiens are second with 11.
There are only two players that have won both the Norris and Hart Memorial Trophy for the same season: Bobby Orr, who won both trophies for the 1969–70, 1970–71 and 1971–72 seasons, and Chris Pronger, who won the Hart and Norris for the 1999–2000 NHL season.
Seven different defensemen won the Hart Trophy before the Norris Trophy's establishment: Billy Burch, Eddie Shore (four times), Herb Gardiner, Albert "Babe" Siebert, Ebbie Goodfellow, Tommy Anderson and Babe Pratt.
The voting is done at the end of the regular season by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and each voter picks their top five candidates on a 10–7–5–3–1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL awards ceremony after the end of the playoffs.
Winners[change | change source]
Player is still active Player elected to Hockey Hall of Fame Eligible player not yet elected to Hockey Hall of Fame
References[change | change source]
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at NHL.com
- James Norris Memorial Trophy history at Legends of Hockey.net
- "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. http://www.nhl.com/trophies/norris.html. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "James Norris Memorial Trophy history". canadianencyclopedia.com. http://thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0004100. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Blues trade Chris Pronger to Edmonton for three players including Brewer". NHL.com. http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/231732.html. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Hart Memorial Trophy history". NHL.com. http://www.nhl.com/trophies/hart.html. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- Dolezar, Jon (2003-04-20). "Foppa shows the most Hart". SI.com. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_dolezar/news/2003/04/01/dolie_insider/. Retrieved 2007-08-17.
Other pages[change | change source]