Lincoln County, South Dakota
|Lincoln County, South Dakota|
Lincoln County Courthouse in Canton
Location within South Dakota
South Dakota's location within the U.S.
|Founded||December 30, 1867|
|Largest city||Sioux Falls|
|• Total||578 sq mi (1,497 km2)|
|• Land||577 sq mi (1,494 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1 km2), 0.08%|
|• Density||78/sq mi (30/km2)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC−6/−5|
Lincoln County is a county in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 44,828. This makes it the third-most populated county in the state. Its county seat is Canton. The first resident of the area was A. I. Linderman in 1866. He was the only resident until the summer of 1867. Lincoln county was incorporated on December 30, 1867. The county was named for Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States.
References[change | change source]
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Doane Robinson, History of South Dakota, Volume 1 (Logansport, IN: B.F. Bowen, 1904), p. 240
- "Welcome". Lincoln County, South Dakota. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 187.