Malaysia Airlines Flight 17
9M-MRD, the plane that crashed, photographed in October 2011
|Date||17 July 2014|
|Place||Near Hrabove, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine
|Aircraft type||Boeing 777-2H6ER|
|Flew from||Amsterdam Airport Schiphol|
|Flying to||Kuala Lumpur International Airport|
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17/MAS17)[f] was a scheduled international passenger flight from Schiphol airport, Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. On 17 July 2014 the flight lost radar contact. It crashed near the village of Hrabove, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine. The plane was a Boeing 777-200ER. It had 283 passengers and 15 crew members onboard at the time of the crash. All 298 people were killed.
It was suspected by Ukraine that the aircraft was shot down by a Buk ground-to-air missile, fired by Pro-Russian separatists. Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko called it an "act of terrorism." The cause of the crash has not yet been determined by the official investigation, which is being carried out by the Dutch Safety Board. Fighting prevented full inspection of the wreckage.
Gallery[change | change source]
Notes[change | change source]
- Dual Canadian-Romanian citizen boarding with Canadian passport.
- 1 dual German-Dutch citizen
- 28 passengers and 15 crew
- 1 dual Dutch-Belgian citizen;
- 1 dual Dutch-Israeli citizen;
- 1 dual Dutch-Italian citizen;
- 1 dual Dutch-American citizen
- 1 dual British-South African citizen; and
- 1 dual British-New Zealand citizen.
- MH is the IATA designator and MAS is the ICAO designator. The flight is also marketed as KLM Flight 4103 (KL4103) through a codeshare agreement.
References[change | change source]
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "Statement Malaysia Airlines MH17". KLM. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine". cnn.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Malaysian Plane 'Shot Down' With 295 On Board". Sky. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "How countries reacted to Malaysia Airlines Flight MH 17 Crash?". news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Malaysia Airlines crash: President Poroshenko calls shooting down of Malaysian plane an 'act of terrorism'". The Daily Telegraph. 17 July 2014. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974784/Malaysia-Airlines-crash-President-Poroshenko-calls-shooting-down-of-Malaysian-plane-an-act-of-terrorism.html. Retrieved 17 July 2014.