Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
|"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"|
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album Rubber Soul|
|Released||3 December 1965|
|Recorded||21 October 1965|
"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles. It was first released on their 1965 album Rubber Soul. It was mainly written by John Lennon, but listed as being written by Lennon–McCartney. The song was influenced by the lyrics of Bob Dylan. The song had a sitar played by George Harrison, which was the first time this had been done in Western rock music. The song was a number one in Australia, where it was released as a single. Rolling Stone magazine said it was the 83rd-greatest song of all time.
Personnel[change | change source]
- John Lennon – double-tracked vocals, acoustic guitar
- Paul McCartney – bass guitar, harmony vocals
- George Harrison – 12-string acoustic guitar, double-tracked sitar
- Ringo Starr – tambourine, bass drum
References[change | change source]
- Unterberger, Richie. "Great Moments in Folk Rock: Lists of Author Favorites". richieunterberger.com. Retrieved 26 January 2011.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Williams 2002, p. 101.
- Lewisohn 2005, pp. 69, 200.
- Miles 2001, pp. 215, 217.
- Unterberger, Richie. "The Beatles Rubber Soul review". AllMusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Rolling Stone staff (19 September 2011). "100 Greatest Beatles Songs". rollingstone.com. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- Rodriguez 2012, p. 69.
- "Norwegian Wood ranked 83rd greatest song". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- Everett 2001, p. 314.
- Williams, Paul (2002). The Crawdaddy! Book: Writings (and Images) from the Magazine of Rock. Hal Leonard. ISBN 0-634-02958-4.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Lewisohn, Mark (2005) . The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962–1970. London: Bounty Books. ISBN 978-0-7537-2545-0.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Miles, Barry (2001). The Beatles Diary, Volume 1: The Beatles Years. Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-0-7119-8308-3.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Rodriguez, Robert (2012). Revolver: How the Beatles Reimagined Rock 'n' Roll. Milwaukee, WI: Backbeat Books. ISBN 978-1-61713-009-0.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Everett, Walter (2001). The Beatles as Musicians: The Quarry Men Through Rubber Soul. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-514105-9.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)