Order of the Garter
The Most Noble Order of the Garter is an English order of chivalry. It was started in 1348, by King Edward III of England. The Order is the highest level of knighthood that can be given by the English monarch. It is the world's oldest national order of knighthood. Membership in the Order is limited to those people who have done many great things for the United Kingdom.
The Order of the Garter is made up of a very small number of people. This group includes the Sovereign (the King or Queen of Britain) and no more than 25 full members. These members are called "Companions". Male companions are called "Knight Companions". Female members are called "Lady Companions". There are also a number of extra members known as "Supernumerary" Knights and Ladies. These members are usually members of the British royal family, and monarchs of other countries.
Knights of the Order use the post-nominal letters (KG) and Ladies of the Order (LG). Knights Companion can use the title "Sir" before their first name, and their wives can use the title "Lady" before their surnames. Ladies Companion can use the title "Lady" before their first name, but their husbands cannot use any title.
Current Members[change | change source]
Knights and Ladies Companion:
- The Lord Bramall KG GCB OBE
- The Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover KG
- The Lord Ashburton KG KCVO
- Sir Timothy Colman KG
- The Duke of Abercorn KG
- The Lord Inge KG GCB
- Sir Antony Acland KG GCMG GCVO
- The Lord Butler of Brockwell KG GCB CVO PC
- The Lord Morris of Aberavon KG PC QC
- Sir John Major KG CH PC
- The Lord Luce KG GCVO PC
- Sir Thomas Dunne KG KCVO
- The Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers KG PC
- The Lord Boyce KG GCB OBE
- The Lord Stirrup KG GCB
- The Baroness Manningham-Buller LG DCB
- The Lord King of Lothbury KG GBE
- The Lord Shuttleworth KG KCVO
- Sir David Brewer KG CMG CVO
- Lady Mary Fagan LG DCVO
- The Viscount Brookeborough KG
- Lady Mary Peters LG CH DBE
- The Marquess of Salisbury KG KCVO
Royal Knights and Ladies Companion:
- The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT OM GCVO GBE AK ONZ CC QSO PC
- The Duke of Kent KG GCMG GCVO
- The Princess Royal KG KT GCVO QSO
- The Duke of Gloucester KG GCVO
- Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy KG GCVO
- The Duke of York KG GCVO
- The Earl of Wessex KG GCVO
- The Duke of Cambridge KG KT PC
References[change | change source]
- "Order of the Garter". Royal.gov. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- Oonagh Gay (20 March 2006). "Honours Standard Note: SN/PC/2832" (PDF). United Kingdom Parliament. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 October 2006. Retrieved 7 November 2006.
- "College of St George – Windsor Castle – Orders of Chivalry". College of St George – Windsor Castle. Retrieved 4 June 2010.