|City of Palembang|
Kota Pempek (City of Pempek), Venetië Van Andalas, Bumi Sriwijaya (The Land of Srivijaya)
Palembang BARI (Bersih, Aman, Rapi, Indah) (Palembang: Clean, Safe, Neat, and Beautiful)
Location within South Sumatra
|Settled (town)||16 June 683 |
(Kedukan Bukit Inscription)
|Incorporated (city)||1 April 1906 |
|• Vice Mayor||Fitrianti Agustinda|
|• Total||369.22 km2 (142.56 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8 m (26 ft)|
|• Density||4,300/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|• Ethnic groups||Malays|
|• Religion||Islam 92.53%|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (Indonesia Western Time)|
|Area code||(+62) 711|
History[change | change source]
The city was the capital of the old, Buddhist kingdom of Srivijaya that included a large part of Malaysia and Indonesia. After a 1025 raid by the Chola Empire of southern India it became less imortant. Srivijaya's capital moved north to Jambi. Palembang is also the home of Parameswara, the ruler of Malacca (a state in Malaysia) who started the most important empire in Malaysian history.
The Battle of Palembang was fought near the city during the Second World War between February 13-February 15 1942. Japanese forces captured the airport and nearby oil refinery after a short but bloody battle.
Economy[change | change source]
Palembang's economy has grown after it became a venue for National Sporting Event in 2004. . Palembang was also one of hosts of the 2007 AFC Asian Cup.
This city is famous in Indonesia for its "Pempek" fish cakes.
References[change | change source]
- Indonesia's Population: Ethnicity and Religion in a Changing Political Landscape. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies. 2003.
- Data Sensus Penduduk 2010 - Badan Pusat Statistik Republik Indonesia <http://sp2010.bps.go.id/index.php/site/tabel?tid=321&wid=1600000000&lang=id>
- "Population by Religion in Palembang" (PDF). BPS. 2017.
- Klemen, L (1999–2000). "The battle for Palembang, February 1942". Dutch East Indies Campaign website.CS1 maint: date format (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
- City of Palembang government - in Indonesian
- Heraldry of Palembang
- Visit Musi 2008 Archived 2014-12-18 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palembang.|