Parsons Green train bombing
|Parsons Green train bombing|
|Part of Islamic terrorism in Europe|
Police on Parsons Green, following the bombing
|Date||15 September 2017 |
8:20 am (BST)
|Weapons||Improvised explosive device|
|Website||Metropolitan Police incident page|
On 15 September 2017, at around 8:20 am BST (07:20 UTC), an explosion occurred on a District line train at Parsons Green tube station, in London, England. Twenty-nine people were injured and later treated in hospital. The main injuries were burn injuries. The incident is being treated by the Metropolitan Police as a terrorist attack. It was one of several attacks to occur on British soil in 2017 which are being treated as terrorism.
The bomber had placed the device in a white plastic bucket inside a shopping bag, according to images and videos posted on social media just after the attack. Wires were visible hanging out, as well as a black towel. Reports also indicate the device had a timer attached.
In a statement after the incident, Prime Minister Theresa May said: "My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and the emergency services who, once again, are responding swiftly and bravely to a suspected terrorist incident."
References[change | change source]
- Sabur, Rozina; Boyle, Danny (15 September 2017). "Parsons Green explosion: UK terror threat level at 'critical' as Isil claim responsibility for Tube bucket bomber – latest news". The Telegraph. Retrieved 15 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tube blast is terror incident, say police". 15 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rawlinson, Kevin; Siddique, Haroon; Dodd, Vikram (15 September 2017). "London tube explosion: District line device was homemade bomb, say police". Retrieved 15 September 2017 – via www.theguardian.com. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bucket that exploded into flames on Parsons Green Tube: PICTURED | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. 25 August 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Explosion on tube train at Parsons Green treated as terrorism by police".