|Location||İnönü Blv., Antakya|
|Address||Ekinci, İnönü Bulvarı No:57, Antakya/Hatay, Türkiye|
|Town or city||Antakya|
|Destroyed||6 February 2023|
|Number of stores||2|
Rönesans Rezidans (Renaissance Residence) was a residential building in Ekinci, Antakya, that fell over in February of 2023 during the 2023 Turkey–Syria earthquake. It was the first luxury apartment in Hatay Province.
The building was built between 2011 and 2012. It was the home of generally more wealthy people in Antakya. It was kind of a luxurious residence. It was built by Antis Yapi, a company that was established many years ago. When it fell over during the first earthquake it might have trapped or killed at least 800 people. Rescue efforts looking for survivors are still ongoing. It was said that the structure of the building was strong, and that it did not collapse but it was instead tipped as Dr. Ahmet Ercan explains. The shockwave got bigger on its way from Gaziantep, where the epicentre of the first earthquake was. When the shockwave arrived in Hatay Province it had gotten so big that it caused much more intense and violent shaking of the ground in Hatay.
Architect/Engineer Yoshinori Moriwaki said that the building did not have friction piles which he says would have prevented it from falling over. The building did have a floating raft system. Geophysics Professor Ahmet Ercan said that the foundation of the building should have been deeper. He said that it looks 3 meters deep but it should have actually been about 10 meters deep.
The Ekinciler Belde Municipality gave the permits for the building in 2013. Lütfü Savaş said that the building was probably build correctly and followed regulations.
Design and construction[change | change source]
The building is the first residenz (Turkish: Rezidans) in Hatay. It was built to be a home for families that are working in the growing border trade business in Hatay. Hatay is next to the Syrian border. The building was home to around 700 residents. Other people have said that almost 1000 residents lived in the building. The building is 12 floors high and has a total 249 homes, 2 shops. The building is divided into 4 blocks. The area that the building takes up on the ground is 10,500 square metres (113,000 sq ft) large.
The homes range from 44 to 174 metres (144 to 571 ft) squared. The building had amenities such as a half Olympic sized pool, jacuzzi, gym, sports facilities, children's playground, a place for cars to park under a roof, secretary and reception services, walking and biking paths, wakeup service, shop, 24/7 security services and waterfalls. Mehmet Yaşar Coşkun was the Chairman of the Board of Antis Yapı when the building was made. He said that this project will "create an area where all kinds of social activities can take place". The need for parking spaces is answered inside the building. Keeping the cars inside keeps the outside without cars and free and open for activities to take place.
Building started in 2011 by Antis Yapı. The first of the building was started with a ceremony which was attended by: Hatay MP Sadullah Ergin, Hatay governor H. Celalettin Lekesiz, mayor Lütfü Savaş, chief constable Ragıp Kılıç and mayor of Ekinci municipalit Seyfettin Yeral. The plan was to finish building in April 2013. It was finished in 2012. The company Antis Yapı was started by the architect Mehmet Yaşar Coşkun and engineer Hüseyin Yalçın Coşkun.
The license for the building was given by the Ekinciler Belde Municipality in 2012 accordign to Lütfü Savaş.
Collapse[change | change source]
People got angry at the building because many older buildings that were close were still standing as of 17 February, while Rönesans Rezidans had fallen over. Dr.Ercan has explained that the concrete wasn't bad, but the foundation was not deep enough. Also the shockwaves of the first earthquake arrived in Antakya with a much bigger than was expected. According to Dr. Ercan, the disaster might not be the fault of municipality or contractor or the building inspection board. He says there needs to be a proper analysis of the situation that takes into consideration how exactly the earthquake waves affected the building. The investigation should be done by geophysics experts, and they should not rush to put the blame on anyone and also not rush to forgive anyone. However the rubble of the building was already cleared out by 24 February even though the building was cleared up it is still not known how many people died because of the collapse.
Lütfü Savaş who is the mayor of Hatay Province said that the building was built correctly and did what it needed to to survive an earthquake. He is confident that this is true because the architect was an idealist, and he was also a former president of the Chamber of Architects. He said that everyone will be questioned of course. It would be bad not to. They will look for anything that might be missing.
Professor of Geophysics Dr. Ahmet Ercan said that the shockwave of the earthquake had increased instead of reducing in magnitude when it arrived in Antakya. It had increased so much that it was more than gravity but in the opposite direction of gravity. This means that buildings were thrown up into the air from the ground and pushed sideways even if they were strong constructions. Rönesans Rezidans shows this. The building is knocked over but it has not collapsed. All the columns and beams look strongly attached to each other and show no sings of breaking.
A rule of thumb is that for every 5 floors above ground there should be 1 floor under the ground. It looks like the foundation floor is about 3 metres (9.8 ft) deep, but according to the rule it should have been about 10 metres (33 ft) deep.
Japanese Architect and Engineer Yoshinori Moriwaki also interpreted the collapse of Rönesans Rezidans. He said that the length of Rönesans Rezidans played a part in its collapse. A long building is fine but should use friction piles. Friction piles would have increased the price of the whole project by about 10%. The stakes would go all the way down to where the ground is more stable. He said that even though it fell over, there was actually not much damage to the structure. No matter how strong the building is, a bad foundation can lead to the building collapsing. According to some sources the building was constructed on a floating raft system which is a system used when the ground under a building is too soft for friction piles.
Moriwaki compared the relationship of architects and engineers in Turkey and Japan. He said that in Turkey the architect is very powerful. In Turkey for example the boss is an architect and the engineer works for the architect. In Japan however, since the 1995 Kobe earthquake and the 2011 Sendai-Miyagi earthquake/Fukushima disaster, Japan changed the system to give more power to the engineers.
Residents[change | change source]
Members of the Hatayspor team were living in the building. Team manager Volkan Demirel also previously lived in the building and two of his neighbors died. Player Christian Atsu and technical director Taner Savut were Hatayspor members under the wreckage. A thermal imaging camera determined signs of life in the wreckage and it was reported that Atsu had been rescued but that Savut is still missing, later it was later reported that Atsu is also still missing. Atsu might have been on the 9th floor when the building collapsed, his body was found by 18 February confirming his death. Taner Savut was also later identified and confirmed dead in a hospital in Adana. Handball player Cemal Kütahya along with his wife and kids, and educator Hülya Aydın were also missing in the wreckage. Kutahya and one of his sons have since been reported dead.
Many doctors lived in the building. Doctor Şebnem Turan Adıgüzel who was rescued from the rubble said that some of her colleagues had unfortunately died.
Rescue efforts[change | change source]
A Hungarian rescue team saved 12 people. Hungarian Firefighter Lieutenant Colonel Dániel Mukics personally rescued a resident named Selma from the wreckage at the 47th hour. He was part of a 55-person team. A team of 75 Turkish coal miners saved 40 people in the 7 consecutive days that they were at the scene. A team from China has also been working building. The Erzurum Search and Rescue Team (ERAKUT) who belong to the Erzurum Metropolitan Municipality Fire Brigade Department also arrived at the wreckage and were involved in the rescuing of a 9 year old boy.
Arrests[change | change source]
The contractor of the building, Mehmet Yaşar Coşkun, was arrested at the airport in Istanbul. He was on his way to Montenegro where he said he was working on some other projects. He said his trip had nothing to do with the earthquake and that his trip was not an attempt to run away. He was sent to Metris Prison. The locations of the project manager İbrahim Dahiroğlu and the site manager Bayram Mansuroğlu are unknown. Coşkuns lawyer said that "the public is looking for a criminal, a culprit. My client was picked as this culprit". Coşkun said that the building was strong and had all the necessary licenses.
References[change | change source]
Citations[change | change source]
- Cumhuriyet 2011.
- Editör (2011-05-26). "Hatay'ın ilk rezidansı". AÇIK GAZETE (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-22.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'ın reklamını böyle yapmış! Kanınız donacak: Peri kalıp, kule vinç, cennetten bir köşe!". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-27.
- Selin 2011.
- Mourenza, Andrés (10 February 2023). "How a 'piece of paradise' turned into a grave: the collapse of a luxury building in Antakya". El País English Edition. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'da 57 bin liraya!". www.emlaktasondakika.com (in Turkish). 22 February 2011. Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- "Antakya Rönesans Rezidans". www.emlakwebtv.com (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- Belibağlı, Hüseyin (6 March 2011). "Hatay Rönesans Rezidans'ta 57 bin TL'ye!". emlakkulisi.com (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- "Antis Yapı Hatay'a Rezidans Konforunu Getiriyor". Haberler (in Turkish). 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2023-02-22.
- "Hatay'da 11 yıl önce yapılan 250 dairelik rezidans depremde yerle bir oldu". www.sozcu.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- "Lütfü Savaş'tan kendisini eleştiren Şahan Gökbakar'a "Rönesans Rezidans" yanıtı". Yurt Gazetesi (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- Sporx (2023-02-10). "Rönesans rezidans Hatay kimin? Rönesans rezidans kim yaptı?". Sporx (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- "Turkey rages at shoddy construction after 'earthquake-proof' homes topple | The Straits Times". The Straits Times. 2023-02-18. Retrieved 2023-02-22.
- "Hatay'da zenginlerin oturduğu rezidans komple çöktü. Hepsi yeni binalar. 800 kişi enkaz altında". Yeni Çağ Gazetesi (in Turkish). 2023-02-07. Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- Kucukgocmen, Ali (2023-02-17). "Turkey rages at shoddy construction of 'earthquake-proof' homes". Reuters. Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- Ercan 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'ın enkazı kaldırıldı". www.ntv.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-27.
- "Rönesans Rezidans nerede? Rönesans Rezidans'ta kaç kişi öldü?". www.cumhuriyet.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-27.
- "Lütfü Savaş'tan Rönesans Rezidans açıklaması: Çok sorgulanırsa onlara yazık etmiş oluruz". birgun.net (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- Moriwaki 2023.
- "Rönesans rezidans ile ilgili çarpıcı sözler: Yöneticiye söyledim alay etti! Cennetten köşe cehennem oldu". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans ile ilgili eski bina sakininden korkunç iddia!". www.haberturk.com (in Turkish). 15 February 2023. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "İskenderun Demir Çelik'te üretime ara verildi". www.cumhuriyet.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans cinayeti! 10 yıllık apartman sakini: Binanın temeli kaymıştı, koridorda çatlak vardı". takvim.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Managers of Christian Atsu and missing technical director visit collapsed residence in Turkey". GhanaWeb. 11 February 2023. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Hatayspor winger Atsu rescued after Turkey earthquake". Sports Mole. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Machines halted, miners deployed in search of Christian Atsu after thermal camera 'evidence'". GhanaWeb. 14 February 2023. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Christian Atsu: Former Newcastle and Ghana winger still missing after Turkey earthquake". Sky Sports. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- Agencies, Daily Sabah with (15 February 2023). "Shoes found in debris but Hatayspor's Atsu still missing". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- Amoah, Geraldine (12 February 2023). "Christian Atsu: Miners arrive at his hotel with machines as the search continues". Yen.com.gh. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Ghana player Christian Atsu die inside Turkey earthquake". BBC News Pidgin (in Ghanaian Pidgin). 18 February 2023. Retrieved 18 February 2023.
- "Hatayspor Sportif Direktörü Taner Savut İzmir'de son yolculuğuna uğurlandı – Sonsaat". www.sonsaat.com.tr. 22 February 2023. Retrieved 2023-02-22.
- DHA. "Rönesans Rezidans'taki Hentbol Milli Takımı Kaptanı Cemal Kütahya ve ailesi için umutlu bekleyiş sürüyor". CNN TÜRK (in Turkish). Retrieved 16 February 2023.
- "Burdurlu öğretmen Hülya Aydın için umutlu bekleyiş". NNCHaber.com (in Turkish). Retrieved 16 February 2023.
- dpa, Deutsche Presse-Agentur- (14 February 2023). "Handball captain dies in earthquake in Türkiye's southeast". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 16 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'ta enkaz altından kurtarılan doktor anlattı: 'Bağırmam yetmiyordu'". www.cumhuriyet.com.tr (in Turkish). 19 February 2023. Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- "Rönesans Rezidans enkazında son durum! 'İçeride canlı olabileceğine dair kuvvetli emareler var'". CNN Türk (in Turkish). Retrieved 14 February 2023.
- "Macarların mucizesi: Rönesans Rezidans'ın enkazından kurtardıkları Selma'dan haber bekliyorlar". www.cumhuriyet.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- Sofuoglu, Murat (16 February 2023). "Meet the incredible Turkish coal miners who helped save so many lives". Meet the incredible Turkish coal miners who helped save so many lives. Retrieved 16 February 2023.
- "9 yaşındaki Ege, 72 saatlik yaşam mücadelesinin galibi oldu". Söz Gazetesi (in Turkish). Retrieved 16 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'ın müteahhidi Mehmet Yaşar Coşkun tutuklandı (İfadesi ortaya çıktı)". www.ntv.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- "Rönesans Rezidans'ın tutuklanan müteahhidinin ifadesi ortaya çıktı: Neden yıkıldığını bilmiyorum - Diken". www.diken.com.tr (in Turkish). 11 February 2023. Retrieved 15 February 2023.
- Sarıkurt, Lokman; Cengiz, Tuncer (11 February 2023). "Bakan Soylu: 'Kimse devleti hafife almasın, milletin duygularıyla oynayanlara hesabını sorarız'". İhlas Haber Ajansı (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-20.
- GÖÇMEN, DENİZ BİLİCİ (13 February 2023). "Depremde yıkılan Rönesans Rezidans'ın ortağı, proje müdürü ve şantiye şefi ortada yok". www.sozcu.com.tr (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.
Sources[change | change source]
- "Yaklaşık 37 bin metrekarelik arsanın sadece yüzde Rönesans'tan Hatay'a yaşam projesi". Cumhuriyet Emlak. Cumhuriyet. 3 June 2011. p. 2.
- Ercan, Övgün Ahmet (16 February 2023). "İstanbul Depremi İçin O Tarihlere Dikkat! Buket Aydın İle Yüz Yüze'nin Konuğu Prof. Dr. Ahmet Ercan". Haber Global (in Turkish) – via YouTube.
- Moriwaki, Yoshinori (16 February 2023). "Japon Mimar Yıkılan Binalarımızı Analiz Etti! Hata Üstüne Hata Yapılmış!". Haber Global (in Turkish). Retrieved 21 February 2023 – via YouTube.
- Selin, Ozge (18 March 2011). "Sınır Ticareti Yapan İş Adamlarına Hatay'Da Rezidans Yapılıyor". Beyazgazete. Retrieved 2023-02-22.
Further reading[change | change source]
- Cerrahoğlu, Nilgün (19 February 2023). "Rönesans Rezidans" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2023-02-21.